Sub_Octavian

Pimp that torpedo boat!

Hello there, Legends! A bit of our ship research and progression layout, Work In Progress. It says Beta, but it's just to throw enemies off the track 😎 Original picture can be found here.

WoWSL_progression_1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

lol Just posted about this in Discord and thank you for sharing this.

Interesting to see that it appears that everything needs to be researched and not just the Hull before unlocking the next ship. Not to mention the layout of the research items ie: the Hull has to be unlocked before the Gun Fire Control System can be unlocked.

Of course, everything is subject to change and I could be misinterpreting the pic altogether. 

I like this progression layout... easy on eyes to spot what‘s next to come. 👍

Getting more and more hungry for this game 😅

• Like 1

i thought the progression would be streamlined like WoTC and the UI is pretty clean the only problem i have is that the silhouette of the ship on the white background with such a thin line is hard on the eyes, it could just be because its a screen shot. maybe a slight pallet change. still a WIP so could change i suppose.

14 minutes ago, BORNTOKILL2001 said:

i thought the progression would be streamlined like WoTC and the UI is pretty clean the only problem i have is that the silhouette of the ship on the white background with such a thin line is hard on the eyes, it could just be because its a screen shot. maybe a slight pallet change. still a WIP so could change i suppose.

The " streamlined " progression on WOTC was a terrible way to implement the system. It took a l of options away from the players in how they wanted to set their tanks up.

What made it worse was they never really got around to the idea of proposing a package and adding it to the game. Think it only happened with a handfull of proposals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Different logic in the progression system i see. 

Simplified, but clever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

The " streamlined " progression on WOTC was a terrible way to implement the system. It took a l of options away from the players in how they wanted to set their tanks up.

What made it worse was they never really got around to the idea of proposing a package and adding it to the game. Think it only happened with a handfull of proposals.

I wrote short novels on why the package system was bad. Glad to see these guys aren't rehashing old mistakes based on assumptions about our inferior console brains.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sub_Octavian said:

Hello there, Legends! A bit of our ship research and progression layout, Work In Progress. It says Beta, but it's just to throw enemies off the track 😎 Original picture can be found here.

WoWSL_progression_1.jpg

For a Japanese torpedo boat, I probably will focus on the torpedo upgrade if it gives me better range. I couldn't care about Fire Control at all because most IJN DDs are scrap metal if it has to engage in a gun fight. The WoWS PC research system allows me to focus on just the Hulls and move on to the next class.

To get to the equipment upgrades we can use a similar system to how WoT Console access the packages, crew, equipment etc.

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

I have played WoT PC briefly before I declare I cannot drive with keyboard the way I can with controller. WoT PC modules could be confusing for console crowd, so packages is the better alternative. However WoWS PC  research system is as straight forward as it can get with single item to reasearch, and there is nothing there that cannot work with a controller. So why make this a 1-liner system.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The presentation for the research looks nice, but the linear research progress takes interesting parts away from the PC version, like going on a DD the gunboat or torpedo boat way.

Research, modules and consumables in WoT can be confusing, in WoTC it was different but not better, more adjusted to gamepad control. In WoWs the research is clear, WoWp is similar. In all 4 games i liked the WoWs approach the most.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nice picture, I think some of you guys looking this picture but missing a point here. I tried most of WG games and this is one of the best progression system i have ever seen. There are some questions about WoWs Legends yes, but i think there is nothing wrong with this. Good job here.

Edited by PietroMaximoff
  • Like 1

The presentation is very attractive. It seems like you have to research everything in one particular order, is that right? It doesn't seem like everything needs to be like that, but it probably makes sense more-often-than-not. What happens with ship classes that have multiple reasonable configurations?

9 hours ago, Sub_Octavian said:

WoWSL_progression_1.jpg

be cool if fubiki had 15km torps. Is there a chance we see kitakami added into the test?

9 hours ago, Ruthless4u said:

I can see peoples frustration with the packages and such and the progression  on WoWL is different, but the whole point of trying to limit the number of steps was to help the people who have never played a wargaming game before. It was poorly done but it doesnt limit you as much as people make it out to be, it was hard to change my view of the tech tree after playing on PC for years prior but just but looking at what each package has in it its easy to set up a tank to what you want. I am not defending the packages as they are just poor but all people need to do is read what is in them to use them effectively.

However they choose to present it is one thing but we should be presented the quickest path to the next tier. Anything else not mandatory should be optional. The current layout looks like you are forced to get everything before you can move on. Also you cannot use certain equipment until you unlock it by XP???

I am not sure what type of players WG is thinking in the console crowd. WoTC players along with some WoWS PC players who have consoles is what I am thinking. The rest of the randoms won't last long once they get bogged down in the grinds, tactics, etc typical of WG games.

Even the package system of WoTC allows you to do that, you are not forced to upgrade everything before going to the next tank although grinding out certain things in the current tier first could save you some hassle later.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BORNTOKILL2001 said:

I can see peoples frustration with the packages and such and the progression  on WoWL is different, but the whole point of trying to limit the number of steps was to help the people who have never played a wargaming game before. It was poorly done but it doesnt limit you as much as people make it out to be, it was hard to change my view of the tech tree after playing on PC for years prior but just but looking at what each package has in it its easy to set up a tank to what you want. I am not defending the packages as they are just poor but all people need to do is read what is in them to use them effectively.

Pre set Package systems limit options, it did in WOTC and the game is a lot worse for it. Taking options away from players is never a good thing, it's one of the reasons I don't play WOTC anymore. I forced to use packages that don't match my playstyle.  If a package does not have what a player wants its beyond useless to said player. Add to it long grinds with bad preset packages and it becomes even worse.

I read the argument individual modules would be too complex for the average console user( stated back in WOTC beta) but how do you explain game series like Gran Turismo being so succesfull? I would wager that it's far more complicated than anything wargamings come up with on PC, mobile, or console.

Edited by Ruthless4u
  • Like 4

I do like the UI a lot, very pleasant appearance but like Ruthless said the options you can use on the PC version are very appealing to players, even if it's confusing to new players just having those options would keep more players around while they're learning.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ruthless4u said:

Pre set Package systems limit options, it did in WOTC and the game is a lot worse for it. Taking options away from players is never a good thing, it's one of the reasons I don't play WOTC anymore. I forced to use packages that don't match my playstyle.  If a package does not have what a player wants its beyond useless to said player. Add to it long grinds with bad preset packages and it becomes even worse.

I read the argument individual modules would be too complex for the average console user( stated back in WOTC beta) but how do you explain game series like Gran Turismo being so succesfull? I would wager that it's far more complicated than anything wargamings come up with on PC, mobile, or console.

the only problem whith trying to compare it to a game like gran turismo is that GT has been on consoles from PS1 and has built a huge base from the early 90s and WoT had just turned 5 so its hard to compare succesfull-ness with complexity with games that have always been on console.

that being said I do stand by that it is nowhere as hard to set a tank up how you want as you say, I have play both pc and console for many years and it is not as fun to upgrade on console but you can set up a tank to how you prefer to play they do have packages that have different variations of the tank set up across their individual upgrade trees.

I understand what you are saying and agree is not as easy but it is possible. hopefully we have a bit more freedom with WoWL.

Edited by BORNTOKILL2001

Maybe we can have 2 options. Default to the simple mode: linear 1 line research. Or the advanced mode that works the same as WoWS PC that requires you to set in in the Settings screen. Us WG gurus can have our fun in the advanced modes and the noobs can go with simple mode as a starter.

WoTC packages got better over time. It is the mid tiers that needs those special combo in package. Eg. Top armor, turret, engine but I want that fast firing pea shooter.....  For us who started back in Xbox360 in Feb 2014 we have gone beyond those tanks by the time they have them.

11 minutes ago, dcr66 said:

Maybe we can have 2 options. Default to the simple mode: linear 1 line research. Or the advanced mode that works the same as WoWS PC that requires you to set in in the Settings screen. Us WG gurus can have our fun in the advanced modes and the noobs can go with simple mode as a starter.

WoTC packages got better over time. It is the mid tiers that needs those special combo in package. Eg. Top armor, turret, engine but I want that fast firing pea shooter.....  For us who started back in Xbox360 in Feb 2014 we have gone beyond those tanks by the time they have them.

I agree with the system you are on about and would like something along those line but from what i can tell there isnt a system like that right now and will take time to implement if they do decide to have said system, but i feel like it would be unlikely that it would be brought into the game. 

18 minutes ago, dcr66 said:

Probably not a bad idea. You could also make it so that the modules were more interchangeable (e.g. with the A hull you can upgrade fire control or the AA, and you must unlock those in any order before you get the B hull, but then the B hull upgrades you unlock in any order until you get the next ship).

1 minute ago, TacticAngel said:

Probably not a bad idea. You could also make it so that the modules were more interchangeable (e.g. with the A hull you can upgrade fire control or the AA, and you must unlock those in any order before you get the B hull, but then the B hull upgrades you unlock in any order until you get the next ship).

thats pretty much the current system that they have on PC and they do want to move away from that upgrade scheme it seems.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BORNTOKILL2001 said:

thats pretty much the current system that they have on PC and they do want to move away from that upgrade scheme it seems.

Yeah, though each upgrade on PC has an independent price, and you have a lot of mix and match that probably wouldn't exist in the (poorly explained) suggestion I was proposing. If i were to expand on the idea, I was thinking more that you'd arrive at "an upgrade" along the line, and slot in what you wanted, so in a way, they'd be a more uniform XP requirement (or rather their price would not be strictly tired to the developer's opinion on their usefulness).

Edited by TacticAngel
  • Like 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.