Sled_dog07

Two questions for all of you

1) What was the first video game you ever played? Sub questions for fun can be, what were the circumstances around it, ie: was it with friends in an arcade? was it on a PC during school? 

2) What was the first "online" video game you ever played? Same sub questions if you'd like.

For me:

1) The first game for me was "Super Breakout" on the Atari 5200 back in 1983. lol

Pops wanted to surprise my mom and I for Christmas that year and so he started saving. It took him the better portion of that year to afford it, looking at it now the Atari 5200 was $270, which is roughly $700 in today's dollars. 

What's funny is the other game he got was "Tetris". And to this day, him and I can recall the mornings so clearly where he wouldn't sleep, because he was playing Tetris... lol

2) My first online game was "Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6" circa 1998/99. Playing at a friend's house, we didn't have a PC nor an internet connection, he had a 56k dialup connection and to be honest, it was harder than all heck to snipe someone across that airport map, but it could be done.

Sheesh, when our town got ISDN, it was friggin light speed on MSN's "The Zone" and our 300ms+ pings were a ground breaking 200ms. lol

Ah, this should be interesting to see the generational differences here and not in a bad way. We all use this as a form of escape, entertainment, etc. So to find out what and when it started for people will be intriguing. For those older than me, Pong counts and if you were ever on Arpanet, you get brownie points. lol

The first game I remember was the Donkey King Kong on the Nintendo 64 and as I was very young and my parents didn't want to buy me a Nes 64, I was always at my cousin's house.

The first online game I think was Deepolis, when I was a kid I liked everything related to naval, boats and stuff and just like DKK, it was my cousin who taught me how to play hahahahahaha online, I remember staying up late at night talking to other people from around the world!

• Like 1

1) Pac Man on the Atari 2600 on B/W TV in the early 80's at a new years eve party. The console was owned by a school friend. On the same night i've played some other great games, like Tennis, Hero (one of my all time favourite) or Asteroids.

2) Hard to remember, but must be Quake or Duke Nukem 3D in the mid 90's, playing with a 28.8k modem. In the late 80's i've played my first "network" game on the Amiga 500, Stunt Car Racer with two Amiga connected by a Null-Modem cable.

• Like 1

I had the old Atari, but I'm sure i had something before that, it was a console with games built in and was black and white.

First multiplayer, was C&C, used to link up two playstations

First online game, C&C Tiberium sun.

So glad we don't have to use dial up, used to cost a fortune, my ole man used to go nuts when i played it

• Like 1

For those that remember/used dial-up, nothing worse than hearing that modem dial then try to connect... The only thing that was worse was when the other line was when your modem couldn't establish a connection so it would try a secondary number, starting the process all over again...

lol

Posted (edited)

I know it was an Atari game. Not sure which one, but I liked Frogger, Pitfall, and Pacman. I have no idea what my first online video game was, but probably Bejeweled or Farmville. 😁

Edited by LadyTanker
  • Like 1

First game I ever played was Super Mario 64, either that or Grand theft auto San Andreas (Yeah 5 years old and already playing Gta)

My first online game was Call of duty World at war's zombie mode

8 minutes ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

Also Atari 2600?! Jebus how young are all of you? 

ftfy :Smile-_tongue: 42 i think

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sled_dog07 said:

For those that remember/used dial-up, nothing worse than hearing that modem dial then try to connect... The only thing that was worse was when the other line was when your modem couldn't establish a connection so it would try a secondary number, starting the process all over again...

lol

Whats more frustrating, dial up or loading a zx spectrum game :Smile_teethhappy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sled_dog07 said:

lol

I remember the first computer my family had was a old dell with Windows XP, we didn't have dial up but it still took a eternity to load up a page. And you could forget playing any games on it, 3D Pinball was kinda your only option. I always had to go to the library for decent internet until I got my ipod touch in 2011

• Like 1

1) Spyro or Crash bandicoot on PS1, nothing has taught me how to have patience or problem solving as a kid until i played these.

2) Battlefield 2142, when i decided to ignore my dad and secretly downloaded and installed the update that enables online play.

• Like 1

My first games were the likes of River Raid or Moon Patrol on the Atari 2600. The first games I have a proper clear memory of are the Dizzy games on the ZX Spectrum. Fantasy World Dizzy was always my favourite.

I never really embraced the online gaming thing until Halo 3 came out. For years I'd been annihilating all comers on Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. I was convinced I was an absolute FPS god since nobody could touch me. Online MP revealed the cold hard truth that in point of fact, my real life friends are each and every one of them, tremendous scrubs.

20 hours ago, StockrA said:

Whats more frustrating, dial up or loading a zx spectrum game :Smile_teethhappy:

Here's a funny story

I got a friend who's really into older DOS and Commadore systems and he had me play a Superman game for the Commador 64, I put the floppy in and I had to put in this weird combination on keys just to load the damn thing. After about 8 minutes of loading I get the chance to pick a character, which went as well as you think. Next thing I know he's having me flip through this book just to find the command key to pick Superman. After 13 minutes I finally got the chance to play. Thank goodness I never had to grow up in that.

23 minutes ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

Here's a funny story

I got a friend who's really into older DOS and Commadore systems and he had me play a Superman game for the Commador 64, I put the floppy in and I had to put in this weird combination on keys just to load the damn thing. After about 8 minutes of loading I get the chance to pick a character, which went as well as you think. Next thing I know he's having me flip through this book just to find the command key to pick Superman. After 13 minutes I finally got the chance to play. Thank goodness I never had to grow up in that.

You should ask your friend to play a game from datasette instead from a "fast" floppy 😀I can remember the times when i played winter games on the Commodore Plus/4 and used the fast forward button on the datasette to skip events i didn't want to play. If you spinned the tape to far you screwed the running game, so always have a good look on the counter in the datasette :Smile-_tongue:

The first games I remember playing was on my dad's commador 64. Played a lot of decathlon with my siblings. The amount of joysticks we broke because of that game was ridiculous. It came with a floppy disk drive that used the old floppies that where actually floppy. :classic_laugh:

First game I remeber playing

Cant remember my first online game lol.

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

First game I remeber playing

Cant remember my first online game lol.

Used to love going to the arcades back in the day, remeber the 1st time i seen Outrun and Space harrier

7 minutes ago, StockrA said:

Used to love going to the arcades back in the day, remeber the 1st time i seen Outrun and Space harrier

Sad kids these days will never truly experience it.

Used to play Star Wars at the local putt-putt golf

Can't, took mine to an arcade a few weeks ago, there was 3 racing game, a dance game, and shed loads of bandits, it was crap.

My first game was Ace Combat 1 on the PS1. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since then and I am VERY eagerly awaiting the release of Ace Combat 7

latest.jpg.7530dfdd92317d7f903a7f304332e3ca.jpg

My first online game was Call of Duty Black Ops 1 on Xbox 360. Specifically the zombies mode (the map was "Five"). My parents were very paranoid about me playing with strangers on the internet so that's why I was so late to the online multiplayer party, despite gaming for all of my life.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Serious video game..... Wizardy: Proving grounds of mad overload. On Apple II+ back in 1983.

Online game. DOOM in the early 90s, we killed the university engineering department network few times doing it on couple of PC running on 386DX2-50mhz I think. Around that time also the original Dukem-Nukem. I have to arrange with a friend to play late nights. Tell everybody at home to stay away from the phone. Then use the dialup modem to connect with him. Voice communication not possible.

Edited by dcr66

1. Something on Famicom. Most likely Mario Bros.

2. Warcraft III. Played it on dial-up in 2003 before getting a DSL connection 🙂 

Mario on NES or SNES, don't remember. Black Ops was my first online multiplayer game, but the server population was pretty low so I played Black Ops II instead. My internet was so bad back then, they each took over a day to download and I lagged so hard.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.