Philigula

Discord - all aboard!

A legendary hello to you, captains! Sorry for the cheesy title.

This is just a friendly reminder that our Discord server is alive and well and if you haven't already joined it, now is the time! Crucial announcements about the game, alpha test coordination and some silly banter are all happening there, so if you prefer some real-time communications - that's the place!

Discord.png

• Like 3

I started a Discord account just for WoWSL!  It’s a bit of a “Wild West” kinda vibe in the general chat, but the Developer participation is excellent!  I can’t stress enough how wonderful it is to have such an active and involved team.

Posted (edited)

I tried to get a Discord account, which it told me to download and well I can't really do that. My laptop broke ages ago and Xbox's built in browser doesn't support downloaded software. Is there a mobile version of Discord that I could get?

Edited by LIBARYKEEPER483

6 minutes ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

I tried to get a Discord account, which it told me to download and well I can't really do that. My laptop broke ages ago and Xbox's built in browser doesn't support downloaded software. Is there a mobile version of Discord that I could get?

Absolutely! Works a treat on IOS.

• Like 1

I find discord to be really cluttered and disorganised. It's not easy finding the info you're looking for among all the random gibberish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corrupted Ewok said:

I find discord to be really cluttered and disorganised. It's not easy finding the info you're looking for among all the random gibberish.

I agree with you on that. I'm pretty confused as to why the discord is used as the primary feedback and announcements page and the official forum is like the secondary. The official forums layout and ease of access would make it better suited for interacting with the community right?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

I agree with you on that. I'm pretty confused as to why the discord is used as the primary feedback and announcements page and the official forum is like the secondary. The official forums layout and ease of access would make it better suited for interacting with the community right?

Absolutely. Discord reminds me of the chat rooms from the dial up era. Fine if you're looking to flap your gums and kill some time. Almost worthless if you want to organise information.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Corrupted Ewok said:

Absolutely. Discord reminds me of the chat rooms from the dial up era. Fine if you're looking to flap your gums and kill some time. Almost worthless if you want to organise information.

I personally think that it's the wrong place for a professional company to conduct community interaction, The discord is meant more for Youtubers,Clans and streamers who want to spat stuff at their followers, It's not really meant to be set up like a forum.

• Like 1

Really seems like a bad idea to use discord as the primary. Makes it harder to have detailed discussions and limits participation for those who missed the discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

Really seems like a bad idea to use discord as the primary. Makes it harder to have detailed discussions and limits participation for those who missed the discussion.

I asked Philigula a while back if having a Discord was required.  He said it was not, only that it would only be the fastest means of communication and getting news.  So far, all the updates to the News and Announcements sections have been updated within minutes of each other, even if it goes up on DC first.

The forums are still a relevant and necessary place for feedback and information because they operate on a “normal” pace(people check after work, on break, etc).  This is where ideas and issues will be discussed in greater detail and nuance.

13 minutes ago, BrogueOne said:

I asked Philigula a while back if having a Discord was required.  He said it was not, only that it would only be the fastest means of communication and getting news.  So far, all the updates to the News and Announcements sections have been updated within minutes of each other, even if it goes up on DC first.

The forums are still a relevant and necessary place for feedback and information because they operate on a “normal” pace(people check after work, on break, etc).  This is where ideas and issues will be discussed in greater detail and nuance.

Is it just me or am I getting a sense of deja vu right now?

1 hour ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

Is it just me or am I getting a sense of deja vu right now?

Not really sure what you mean.... I’ve never used Discord until a couple weeks ago.  But I have never felt that I wasn’t getting news and information in a timely manner through not using it.  Between FB, portal articles, and forum updates, the relevant information provided by WG is identical.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, BrogueOne said:

Not really sure what you mean.... I’ve never used Discord until a couple weeks ago.  But I have never felt that I wasn’t getting news and information in a timely manner through not using it.  Between FB, portal articles, and forum updates, the relevant information provided by WG is identical.

A professional company putting 3rd party social media websites 1rst over their own forum.......Feel like I've seen that happen before but I really can't put my finger on it. Anyway they can do whatever they want I suppose, just wish they picked reddit instead as that's much easier to navigate.

Edited by LIBARYKEEPER483

On 7/26/2018 at 9:34 PM, Ruthless4u said:

I'm assuming other threads open up for you guys who are in already?

Just spent the last 10 minutes picking through it and all I came away with was, wisdom teeth are bad. If there's anything worth knowing on there, it's well hidden.

10 minutes ago, Corrupted Ewok said:

I'm assuming other threads open up for you guys who are in already?

Just spent the last 10 minutes picking through it and all I came away with was, wisdom teeth are bad. If there's anything worth knowing on there, it's well hidden.

There is a closed section for the alpha testers. 

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

There is a closed section for the alpha testers. 

Makes sense. I assume the how's and why's of that section are not something you can discuss so I won't ask. Can't imagine it's any more coherent than the general or free for all channels though.

So I got the discord email today but have not recieved my alpha code.... is this just a delay or did I get skipped somehow?

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, Philigula said:

A legendary hello to you, captains! Sorry for the cheesy title.

This is just a friendly reminder that our Discord server is alive and well and if you haven't already joined it, now is the time! Crucial announcements about the game, alpha test coordination and some silly banter are all happening there, so if you prefer some real-time communications - that's the place!

Discord.png

be cool ya get a ts going. miss the alpha ts from pc verison it was fun.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:38 AM, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

A professional company putting 3rd party social media websites 1rst over their own forum.......Feel like I've seen that happen before but I really can't put my finger on it. Anyway they can do whatever they want I suppose, just wish they picked reddit instead as that's much easier to navigate.

Let me dispel some misconceptions, sir 🙂 We're not putting any platform before any other platform per se, however we're trying to get on with the times, and a significant part of our potential playerbase does prefer the rapid pace of Discord to a measured yet, slower forum. We do double all of the news items both platforms, however, so there's no disrespect towards any of our community members. 

Another reason why Discord might be more popular among the future Legends is that many of them (if not most) are communicating using their phones, which do go well together with Discord. Forum is usually preferred by PC users whose numbers are not that high in our particular case, but in the end of the day - to each their own, and we're not depriving any platform of information.

When it comes to Reddit, there are couple of things at the moment that prevent a fully functional sub. First, it is an open resource and we're still in the closed stages of our testing. Second it is a community-ran platform, which we can at most recognize, and I believe with time there will be a subreddit which we interact with regularly.

Then again, maybe you're trolling and I write all of this for nothing, but if not, I hope you have your answers now 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.