Curious to see what your guys favorite ships and naval battles are and why and hopefully start a friendly discussion. It doesn't matter what era/nation they're from either so feel free to share your opinions and/or express why you may disagree with mine. I personally (being American) am a big fan and advocate of the U.S. Navy, so naturally i'm drawn to U.S. ships, but that's not to say I don't appreciate other nations Navy's and their achievements. Ever since I was a kid listening to my grandpa's stories about his time in the Navy I've been determined to learn more and eventually join and serve in the Navy myself. In doing so I've become a big fan of Battleships and in particular the USS Washington (BB-56), named after my home state of Washington. There's just no other sight like looking out at the horizon and seeing a massive American Battleship steaming towards you with the sun rising behind it. The Washington's shear firepower from her 9 x 16-inch main guns, ample speed and maneuverability, stellar combat record, and overall distinct battleship look made her a force to be reckoned with and arguably the most effective U.S. Battleship of WW2, sinking more enemy tonnage than any other and doing it all without taking a single hit or losing any sailors to combat.  It's just a shame she came into the world just as Battleships were being phased out of naval combat and never got to display her full potential. Another favorite of mine (even though they are on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Battleships) is the U.S. Navy's Arleigh Burke-Class Destroyers. Their leading edge Aegis Combat System is unrivaled in missile defense and anti-ICBM warfare and when matched with the firepower a carrier strike group they present a near unstoppable force.

• Like 1

Of the WW2 era I would say the battle of Samar and the U.S.S Johnson and Samuel B Roberts.

• Like 2

Favorite ship would have to be the New Mexico. Reason being is that back during OBT, when it was just IJN and USN, everyone raved about the Fuso and how superior it was.

I set out to prove them wrong and in the process, grew to love the N.M. Currently I have 1,502 games just in the New Mexico alone, had my first Solo Warrior and my first 200k game in her. 

I'm actually a bit of a Cold War nut, I have tons of favorites to pick from that era. Particularly from the USN and Soviet Navy. A few ship classes I quite like are the Oliver Hazard Perry Class Frigates, 80s Refit Iowa Class Battleships, and Nimitz Class Supercarriers on the USN side. For the USSR, there's the Kirov Class Battlecruisers, Sovremenny Class Destroyers, and Sverdlov Class Cruisers. These ships obviously never fought each other, so I can't pick a favorite battle, but It's fun to imagine the Naval Battles of a hypothetical World War 3 during the Cold War.

Posted (edited)

HMS Gloworm or the USS  Samuel B Roberts from wwii

Edited by KINKOPT102

On 7/30/2018 at 8:22 AM, Grayfox061 said:

but It's fun to imagine the Naval Battles of a hypothetical World War 3 during the Cold War.

I don't know, to each their own, but any time I see or hear anything about WW3 I am reminded of Albert Einstein's quote: "I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones".

On 8/3/2018 at 11:46 PM, Sled_dog07 said:

I don't know, to each their own, but any time I see or hear anything about WW3 I am reminded of Albert Einstein's quote: "I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones".

The idea that World War 3 would just be a Nuclear War is false though. Under certain circumstances, it can start off like that yeah, but the Cold War was all about the escalation of tensions, and the same applies to a Third World War. It would start as a Conventional war mostly in West Germany, then slowly but surely escalate (as both sides start to get desperate) to chemical warfare, then the exchange of battlefield nukes, and then finally the big strategic exchange of city killers. Otherwise why would we build up our conventional forces? Nobody actually wants to end the world. This is why I believe it's worth exploring the part of "World War 3" that people tend to ignore.

Pearl Harbor,  USS Phoenix, My great Uncle Donald was a machinist mate on her on that day. He and the ship both made it home. The Phoenix was eventually sold to Argentina, and became even more infamous as the General Belgrano. 

An interesting topic indeed! I'm more fascinated in the 'what if' scenarios, specifically the British's attempt to relieve Singapore in 1941, which involved a battle group, among which was HMS Repulse, my grandfather's ship that he served on in WW2. The relief came late, as Repulse developed engine trouble and had to stop for repairs, but according to some records, if the engine trouble hadn't occurred, that battle group would have been able to observe and intercept the Japanese carrier force that was on its' way to Pearl Harbor. Who knows how the Pacific theatre, and indeed, the rest of the war would have played out if that force had been successfully destroyed before it reached Pearl?

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.