Sign in to follow this  
LIBARYKEEPER483

Wouldn't have been easier just to port the PC version of warships?

I'm pretty confused as to why Warships console addition was built from the ground up and not just ported from PC. The Xbox one and PS4 base models both meet the recommended specs and use a architecture similar to a PC. Change the controls and UI to be more console friendly make the PC and console servers separate. That would be way easier then almost completely remaking it right?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

I'm pretty confused as to why Warships console addition was built from the ground up and not just ported from PC. The Xbox one and PS4 base models both meet the recommended specs and use a architecture similar to a PC. Change the controls and UI to be more console friendly make the PC and console servers separate. That would be way easier then almost completely remaking it right?

Yes and no, by saying that the game is being made from scratch, we are implementing things that are not in WoWsPC, redesigning configurations, new maps, new mechanics, etc..

Some models of boats are passed from PC to Legends, i.e. models of certain things.

We are not making a copy and paste, we are creating together the best naval game of consoles.

1 hour ago, Peppa Chan said:

Yes and no, by saying that the game is being made from scratch, we are implementing things that are not in WoWsPC, redesigning configurations, new maps, new mechanics, etc..

Some models of boats are passed from PC to Legends, i.e. models of certain things.

We are not making a copy and paste, we are creating together the best naval game of consoles.

A copy and paste would still make it the best naval game for consoles, not a lot of competition there. But if they think they can improve on what they've done, they should go for it. 

I mean the game looks absolutely fantastic as it is, I trust the developers know what they're doing here.

I assume Wargaming and their contacted studios would do whatever is cheapest. For whatever reason, ground-up was cheaper. I don't know the reason, but I'm sure they wouldn't go to all this trouble if a port was as simple as it sounds.

8 hours ago, KanonFyodor said:

I assume Wargaming and their contacted studios would do whatever is cheapest. For whatever reason, ground-up was cheaper. I don't know the reason, but I'm sure they wouldn't go to all this trouble if a port was as simple as it sounds.

I wouldn't automatically assume that a company just goes for whatever is the cheapest option either. No matter what company it is, yes cost is a concern when developing or building anything. On the flip side of that, if the cheapest option is always chosen, your product is virtually garbage.

Put that into other business areas where opinions about entertainment don't matter. For instance, what I used to do in my younger days, private contract firefighting and now equipment falls apart, firefighters get hurt, insurance goes up, company loses bids/contracts, company goes out of business.

A company will always take cost into consideration, they have to in order to keep the doors open and the lights on, but assuming any company always uses the cheapest option? Na... 

Now if you were to have said the US State or Federal contract system, you'd be on to something. 

I'm sure all the beta testers for WOTC remember why we did not get a direct port of that game...

• Like 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.