Sign in to follow this  
Philigula

(Un)friendly fire

This message has been deleted by mistake so I'm reposting it for all the interested parties.

Our team has spotted some active discussions on friendly fire being a thing in our game and before that discussion becomes a military operation with casualties, we wanted to put an end to speculations and explain what's what.

Let's start by stating that there is no friendly fire in World of Warships: Legends. It means that ships on your teams will be oblivious to your shells and torpedoes, yet will absorb them if a contact happens. So the only punishment for erroneous aiming or positioning of your ship in relation to your allies would be missed opportunity. 

This approach allows the game to be more friendly to the newer players and simultaneously keep the focus on battling enemy vehicles.

Now, there obviously was a great deal of pondering regarding the issue, the pros and cons and how it would ultimately affect player experience. While we did argue that not having friendly fire is not realistic nor historically accurate, the questions that we had to answer at the end of the day were "What would having friendly fire really give us? What is its place within core gameplay mechanics of WoWS:L?". And if you think about it, it does not bring anything revelationary to the table, nor does it fit-in with the rest of mechanics. We believe that the choice of foregoing a fraction of realism for the sake of having a more user-friendly experience is not really a choice.

Another important point that we considered is so called "griefing". You're probably familiar with the phenomenon in one way or another, but what it comes down to is emotional players trying to hurt their own team by either employing friendly fire or simply playing in such a way that helps the opposing team. There are also ways to "grief" players of the opposing teams but that requires a respawn mechanic in most cases (not present in this game). Realistically, it is nigh-impossible to forego such practices completely, so we decided to dispose of the most obvious way to ruin the evenings.

This change from the PC version goes together with our ultimate goal of streamlining the warships experience and should contribute to most players having their naval fun uninterrupted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is probably the best thing console has brought to WG games. No FF worked with WoT and I don’t mind it going away for WoWS.

Я тоже считаю, что это правильно. Толку никакого. Лучше сосредоточиться над другими нюансами и проблемами, и приблизить релиз. А потом уже в обновлениях возможно что-нибудь попробовать - если конечно игрокам оно нужно будет. 

i guess i'll re-post a TLDR of my response to this news then.

1. - if someone wants to be an asshole and grief, they will find a way. removing friendly fire won't stop the trolls.

2. - friendly fire stat tracking and banning is much easier then trying to track other various ways of griefing (such as pushing and beaching team mates)

3. - team damage reflection from PC works great, why can't we have that here?

On 8/27/2018 at 4:44 AM, ShapeshifterOS said:

"No FF worked with WoT" and I don’t mind it going away for WoWS.

except it didn't, the trolls started pushing people out of cover, pushing scouts out of bushes, over cliffs, drowning team mates, blocking movement, i can go on.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Soldier09V5 said:

3. - team damage reflection from PC works great, why can't we have that here?

except it didn't, the trolls started pushing people out of cover, pushing scouts out of bushes, over cliffs, drowning team mates, blocking movement, i can go on.

MS  and Sony may be more restrictive on what wargaming can do for enforcement. They simply may not allow wargaming to institute bans on console per a stipulation in whatever agreement was made in the contract.

well. They can not ban people from console. But they can ban people from playing their game.

and mixing pink players with other pink players only could also work.

2 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

well. They can not ban people from console. But they can ban people from playing their game.

Maybe, maybe not. MS and Sony might not allow them to ban them from the game.

I've yet to see anyone permabanned from WOTC, I'm sure it applies to legends as well.

i am not against deactivating friendly fire. 

I could love with both decisions, because i am not an a-hole in games. 

its just that their are other ways to grief people. Even on PC it was quite common among BB players, tp push DDs out of their own smoke screens or to block fire. 

griefers will find a way nonetheless.

with or without friendly fire wargaming has to negotiate with the console companies, what they can do to punish griefplay. Something that is in the very own interest of microsoft and sony.

both decisions have pros and cons. 

with friendly fire, you can be griefed in an obvious way but on PC, reflective damage and the TK status that lets you play coop only for quite a long time, made people think twice to do it again. On console however, a possibly younger audience might be a lot less worried by such consequences.

with friendly fire however, people with a start spamming torpedoes from all distances and that will make life miserable for players on the front line. Torpedo alerts from all sides will be awful.

like i said above. I can live with both decisions bit people will find a wau to grief and griefers need to be dealt with - period.

Not a bad idea, same thing with World of Tanks on console, you can shoot a ally again and again but the shell will never do damage, but you could still ram somone though.

But yeah I do like this idea.

Friendly fire damage , should remains, thats my opinion. Im WoW for the pc it helps to avoid bad behavier in the game.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.