Better watch out for those shells! US Navy destroyer Farragut has teamed up with the Pensacola cruiser. Which would you choose to battle?

WG_WOWS_SPB_Screens_Console_Pensacola_1920x1080px.thumb.jpg.f312b6e105ef72ca41b667f0b1ef7270.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skulduggery6996 said:

While i didnt enjoy the pepsicola grind on PC im not a fan of DD's 😧

So what is your favourite class?

I started off playing WOWS as a BB driver but started playing more of the Battle-Cruisers as of late, find the mix between armour, guns and manoeuvrability to be the most fun for me, ships like Kongo, Amagi, Kii, Kronshtadt, Scharnhorst and soon to be released Alaska are ships that that i have been finding to be the most fun that fit my play-style

Edited by Skulduggery6996

In WOT I have more heavies than any other line, in my WOWS PC games I prefer the cruisers for their speed and versatility, interesting change. I would love to be good at destroyers, but if I sail them the same way I drive my lights...ugh!!! :Smile_sad:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stonehammers said:

I know it's a rare opinion, but I absolutely love the Pensacola.

It is rare, based on the latest feedback that I've seen. Can you tell what you like about it?

Gotta give some love to Pensacola, 'cause she is a good ship.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:55 PM, Skulduggery6996 said:

I started off playing WOWS as a BB driver but started playing more of the Battle-Cruisers as of late, find the mix between armour, guns and manoeuvrability to be the most fun for me, ships like Kongo, Amagi, Kii, Kronshtadt, Scharnhorst and soon to be released Alaska are ships that that i have been finding to be the most fun that fit my play-style

Yeah, that's true. A lot depends on the play style. What ships do you like to team with then?)

22 hours ago, Calypso said:

Yeah, that's true. A lot depends on the play style. What ships do you like to team with then?)

I find a cruiser division or a cruiser division with a destroyer to be a good mix for team-play, although if you want to do a good push a battleship division can work but will struggle if a CV is in play or there are plenty of destroyers about. In my experience a Belfast Division can be quite gamy as you have the ability to juggle smoke and radar between the 3 of you, same goes for the Kutuzov. Nikolai Division is also fun just got to watch out for any air attack really.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:16 AM, Calypso said:

It is rare, based on the latest feedback that I've seen. Can you tell what you like about it?

Gotta give some love to Pensacola, 'cause she is a good ship.

I'm not sure which version will be on the Console version, but back on the PC when it was T7 I always liked to exploit the "kill the Pensacola" mentality of the enemy team. Often times gathering the attention of half the other team leaving the rest of their team outnumbered vs my team.

It's a rather thin ship and it has a pretty good turning circle so it's not the easiest target to hit. Say what you want about it's armor, but it's armor thickness only matters if they can hit you.

Will we have the T6 or T7 Pensacola at launch? Or is that still in NDA?

4 hours ago, Stonehammers said:

Will we have the T6 or T7 Pensacola at launch? Or is that still in NDA?

Everything about ship stats is under NDA. 

I started playing Warships on the PC back in 2015 so i know the - "oh look a Pensacola" - mentality 😄 But isn't it the same way with all the cruisers on the lower tiers? Just an example from the PC: You are in a Bayern and you see a NĂŒrnberg 😉 I would love to shoot that. 

24 minutes ago, T33kanne said:

Everything about ship stats is under NDA. 

I started playing Warships on the PC back in 2015 so i know the - "oh look a Pensacola" - mentality 😄 But isn't it the same way with all the cruisers on the lower tiers? Just an example from the PC: You are in a Bayern and you see a NĂŒrnberg 😉 I would love to shoot that. 

Good thing with a Nurnberg though, is by the time you've aimed at it, it's launched 3 salvos at you, set 3 fires and is in the process of running away to find something else to shoot at.

1 minute ago, Johno431 said:

Good thing with a Nurnberg though, is by tï»żhe time you've aimed at it, it's launched 3 salvos at you, set 3 fires and is in the process of running away to find something else to shoot at.

😄 i want to have that kind of luck with the Fire RNG on a NĂŒrnberg. And even if you are running away you get zitadelled at every angle.

1 minute ago, T33kanne said:

😄 i want to have that kind of luck with the Fire RNG on a NĂŒrnberg. And even if you are running away you get zitadelled at every angle.

I know. Even the flags, on the mast, have citadels! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Johno431 said:

I know. Even the flags, on the mast, have citadels! :classic_biggrin:

Even if the shells land near the ship, it instantly breaks into two pieces :hide_turtle:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T33kanne said:

Even if the shells land near the ship, it instantly breaks into two pieces :hide_turtle:

It's the new premium consumable. Press "escape" to activate, ship will dive to the bottom of the sea and hide until the end of the match. :facepalm:

Couple of comments in here down the line of "I started on X line" so I would like to throw this out here.
What line/nation would you recommend to new players as their jumping off point?
Take WoT as an example. You'll see vids and posts saying that, if you are new, go for the IS-7 line. The reasons are usually four fold; they are heavies so you have the hit point and armour buffer to make the mistakes you are going to make as a new player, they are pretty mobile so you can be a little late to react to stuff and still get there on time, the guns are large and hit hard so you don't have to worry about exposure just roll out-derp-retreat-reload-repeat and, finally, they are generally consistent in the play style and are easy to live with (obviously you get the change from standard to pike nosed which is a lil bit of a throw off but nothing much changes). Personally I recommend the IS-4 line, with the expression of the ST-I/1 will be a pain to stock grind but, you will have a more consistent optimal play-style through the line as the line is tougher throughout compared to the sister line.
I'd, at minimum, recommend a new player pick a HT line in WoT cus at least having the HP buffer is gonna pay dividends.
But, here is the thing I have thought of after much consideration, I don't think the same logic applies to WoWS as yes the BBs do have the HP buffer (and the heal) but torpedoes exist... and citadels exist... you really don't have the room to make mistakes in BBs the same way as you do in HTs cus you are just so much more slow to react to changes and the punishments are so much greater (see any DD game play salvoing BBs with torpedoes and getting consistent devastating strikes or BBs getting multi citadel salvos or even cruisers ripping apart close range broadside BBs)
So, I considered CCs, but they can suffer the same problems as BBs but don't even have the HP buffer or the heal at first. Yeah they are more flexible and react better but the lack of any real speciality makes them vulnerable.
With CVs there is a LOT going on at once and you really need to be aware of everything so it would be very overwhelming to a new player so that is also out.
That leaves DDs and I think, genuinely, that's probably a good thing. There is only really one ship DDs have to worry about consistently, and that is other DDs, anything else can just be kited away from. They have lots of stuff going for them; the big equaliser torpedoes, the ability to get closer than any other ship, the ability to move faster than any other ship, they resist the damage they take better (yes I know they have no armour to bounce but that is also no armour to fuse shells) and they have the tactical advantage of the smoke screen which, at the barest minimum, is a great way to turn tail and flee from an unfavourable situation.
As such, I think I'd recommend DDs to new players.... maybe the British CCs at a push cus the smoke screen is valuable. But, I wanna throw this in here so others can level in. What do you lot think, am I off my rocker and CVs are a newbs best friend, or maybe the inherent flexibility of CCs makes them a powerhouse in the hands of new player, or maybe good old cyka blat BB firepower and not giving a damn is the way to start your WoWS story? Would love to hear any opinions and other points of view.

@EternalAutotaku

Well thats not an easy question to answer. It depends on what you wanna play and how your playstyle is.

If you don't know what to start with, i can always recommend the Low Tier Guide of Flamu: 

Spoiler

He is doing a great job on showing the strength and the weaknesses of certain ships. So you can see for yourself what best suits you.

I have played every shipclass so far, some more than others. From my experience I can tell you: I am a battleship player. I like the dreadnought aspect (huge HP pool, big guns) and I play them very supportive. Try to tank for my team, support my DD's and focus radar cruiser (f.e.)

My second most played shipclass are cruisers. You have the speed and the utility (Def-AA, Hydro, Radar, Repair Party) to help out your DD's against enemy DD's or Cruisers. 
You have to see the difference between Light-Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers. The high ROF (rate of fire) with small calibers or the low ROF with High Caliber (compare the Minotaur f.e. with the Hindenburg). Light Cruiser can be devestating against DD's if you have the moment of surprise on your side, but they get punished by BB's if you get caught.

DD's on the other hand are the hardcounter to BB's. Any DD will win in a 1v1 situation against a BB. The torpedos and the concealment are the strenghts of this shipclass. Most of the DD lines even have great guns (especially the Russian ;)).

I won't say anything about CV's since they get a complete overhaul but the alpha-strike potential is very high at the moment. But this will change.

I can't tell you what new players should start with, they need to try every class on thier own to see what fits them. My first T10 was the Hindenburg followed by Yamato and Montana. 

@T33kanne But, and this is the crux of my original question, what is the least punishing class to play when you make a mistake. We must assume that a new player, a newb (not to be confused with a noob), will make mistakes... often grave ones... so it is a question of what is the hardest to make a mistake in and what can recover from a mistake the best.

You mention that CCs, particularly CLs, are heavily punished for taking the wrong engagement or mayhaps even taking an engagement wrong so I, from a outside perspective, would say that a cruiser is probably not going to be as fun initially as someone may not have the tactical knowledge required to maximise the advantages of the class.

By all means, I am NOT saying that new players should NOT play cruisers if they like them; hell, if they enjoy them, they will probably see much success in them. I can attest to this in WoT as I highly enjoyed the British, my first nation, and was rather successful in them by all metrics (if I could have found a way to show my stats from the 3rd/4th month after WoT Console released I would have put them here, but I can tell you that tanks that I have only used while grinding out the nation are reading Light Blue to Dark Blue WN8 stats) but I would not recommend them as a good starting point as they are punishing if you play them against their strengths, particularly in the mid tiers.

Applying the same logic as WoT I, initially, thought that the HT of the game (BBs) but as you say, while the capacity for tanking is immense, a DD will always win a 1v1 with a BB because of the great equaliser - Torpedoes. Equally problematic for BBs is how easy it is to punish poor awareness, not just with the Torpedoes but with AP citadel hits. Lets be fair, you're gonna wanna swing your back end out to get all the guns firing if you don't know any better and 3...2...1..... blat, you're now down to 1/4 of your health cus you wanted to hit a broadsiding cruiser.

So, as I say, this made me wonder what would be the better diving in point as it were. I personally have arrived at the conclusion of DDs being a better choice for new players; the combination of stealth, speed, utility and the sting in the tail means that there is always an option for a new player to take. They can make a mistake and have multiple unique tools at their disposal to try to get out of the situation. Of course, this is completely game is completely unlike WoT but I feel like a more solid answer to this will help get new players to stay longer; they have a easier platform to ease themselves into the game, a platform where they have the time to make tactical decisions and observe battles develop. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.