Sign in to follow this  
Calypso

Chesapeake Raider

Here goes the dreadnought battleship named in honor of the Wyoming Valley! Can you guess why was the historic ship called "Chesapeake Raider" during WWII? Do you know any nicknames for other ships?

WG_WoWS_SPb_Screenshots_Console_1920x1080_7_09_1.thumb.jpg.647c1d593be0aec37ea32b68c2960044.jpg

HMS Warspite was known as "The Grand Old Lady". Warspite was the flagship of Admiral Cunningham, and apparently he remarked about her speed that "When the old lady lifts her skirt, she certainly can run".

If I had to guess where she got the nickname from? I’d guess she was likely berthed in the Chesapeake Bay and called it her Home port. Isn’t there a Naval base in Annapolis?

She was stationed at Chesapeake bay as a gunnery ship during WWII training gunners is why she was called the Chesapeake Raider. Looks great.

On September 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM, BrogueOne said:

If I had to guess where she got the nickname from? I’d guess she was likely berthed in the Chesapeake Bay and called it her Home port. Isn’t there a Naval base in Annapolis?

The U.S Naval academy is located there.

• Thanks 1

USS Enterprise: The Big E

USS Lexington: Lady Lex, The Gray Lady

USS Saratoga: Stripe-Stacked Sara

USS Houston: Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast

1 hour ago, KanonFyodor said:

USS Enterprise: The Big E

USS Lexington: Lady Lex, The Gray Lady

USS Saratoga: Stripe-Stacked Sara

USS Houston: Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast

U.S.S Ben Franklin: Big Ben

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.