Badfaith PRIEST

How many is too many?

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't have the foggiest idea. I suppose it depends on how big the game is and how far they are into their testing. There probably isn't an upper limit, as long as you're getting good information. 

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

No idea, but I would guess it would depend on what their goals were during Alpha, area's of focus, their active pool of candidates, etc.

Then as testing progresses into CBT, I'd imagine some stress testing on the servers as they start flexing the games engine/software a bit more.

But an "exact number", I don't think there will be one due to the fact of people coming and going (real life issues, etc.), so I would think it set up like a qualified call list with no end.

If they expect enough people and more to get few full games going, then they need a lot of testers. People are in different time zones around the world and people have different schedules also. WG staff can fill some of those spots but we could be talking odd hrs if the St Petersburg gang want to play in the North America east coast prime time, 7 hrs in time zone difference!!!!

23 hours ago, Badfaith PRIEST said:

What do you believe the cut off should be for how many are allowed into Alpha?

I just hope there's a berth for me. :Smile_honoring:

2 hours ago, dcr66 said:

If they expect enough people and more to get few full games going, then they need a lot of testers. People are in different time zones around the world and people have different schedules also. WG staff can fill some of those spots but we could be talking odd hrs if the St Petersburg gang want to play in the North America east coast prime time, 7 hrs in time zone difference!!!!

More than likely they will have focus sessions. In other words, the server isn't online until "x" time GMT (or whatever time zone) and then they give a list of items to pay attention to or try to break, etc.  I'm speculating though.

As many as the Devs think they need to get the data they're after. 

Not even sure why this thread is needed to be honest? 

12 hours ago, Sled_dog07 said:

More than likely they will have focus sessions. In other words, the server isn't online until "x" time GMT (or whatever time zone) and then they give a list of items to pay attention to or try to break, etc.  I'm speculating though.

This is the usual practice for how these testing things are done. Believe me, I know. Look me up over in WoT Console forum and you will know why I know.

1 hour ago, dcr66 said:

This is the usual practice for how these testing things are done. Believe me, I know. Look me up over in WoT Console forum and you will know why I know.

Oh I know, I've done some testing myself, but I left some room for error just in case they had some other ideas/plans in mind.

By WOTC Supertest experience, there is no such thing as too many. Test sessions are not life game and assembling enough of people for full sized battle was virtually impossible, test server population was always a problem. So while offline elements, like UI or AI scenarios were easy to test, main gameplay was not.

Besides, when it becomes a duty, and you have to spend a few hours every week, writing mandatory reports, etc, attrition in Supetesters ranks becomes enormous - and supertesters were, after all, selected among huge population of life game and were generally of somewhat higher quality than alpha test can hope for.

3 hours ago, Starshoy said:

By WOTC Supertest experience, there is no such thing as too many. Test sessions are not life game and assembling enough of people for full sized battle was virtually impossible, test server population was always a problem. So while offline elements, like UI or AI scenarios were easy to test, main gameplay was not.

Besides, when it becomes a duty, and you have to spend a few hours every week, writing mandatory reports, etc, attrition in Supetesters ranks becomes enormous - and supertesters were, after all, selected among huge population of life game and were generally of somewhat higher quality than alpha test can hope for.

I know that since I have been in that system for 4 yrs.

4 hours ago, Starshoy said:

WoTc Supertest is a joke, nothing from that should come here. 

3 hours ago, Imhidingshh said:

WoTc Supertest is a joke, nothing from that should come here. 

I don’t want to comment on how it was used, but it did detect a lot of bugs and problems. 

I used to be a ST there, the bugs and problems were detected but a lot were left unfixed or just ignored. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.