Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
New Faded Gl0ry

Just watched Jingles' WoWS Legends video and I have questions

Recommended Posts

First off, I've played WoT Xbox since beta (though not very recently), was a Supertester almost two years, and was at one point very active in the WoT console community (left for a number of reasons).  I was always interested in WoWS since launch on PC and was happy to see it finally coming to consoles. After recently seeing things out in the wild about the game I watched Jingles' video on it, and some red flags were raised.

As everything I've seen from the game so far has been secondhand, my concerns may well be me misinterpreting them, but I figure what's the harm in asking? So here's a couple concerns I'd like clarified:

The 'Package' System - From the few videos I've seen, the way upgrades are handled is similar to WoT console in that there are multiple things grouped together, and you aren't given a choice of prioritizing what to select.  This was always an annoyance for me in WoT and made many grinds even worse, in that - for example - an engine for a LT that costs 10k xp is also bundled with a marginally better radio (fairly useless), and a marginally better gun (LT so doesn't matter), but that's still bad. Now that makes the useful engine upgrade cost 45k in the package instead of 10k as a single module, inflating the grind and forcing you to go without your preferred upgrade for a much longer period. Please tell me it isn't like that (from everything I've seen, it was).

The Tech Trees - I'm just going to assume that tiers 8-10 are going to be there, and that 7 max so far is due to it being in alpha.  Also the restructuring of some premiums in to non premiums leads me the believe that higher use tech tree ships from PC may be purposefully ommited and rebranded premiums. I also hope that premiums are no better than what you can get from the tech tree in terms of an edge. WoT console started introducing better-that-tech-tree-counterpart premiums right around the time I stopped playing. Furthermore, In WoT console tanks with high skill ceilings tended to get nerfed for no reason (TVP T50, Foch line ect). There was no reason for these changes ultimately, other than to appease the lowest commen denomination, they were never "better" than other tanks, only that a higher skill level was required to do better, and they had a steeper learning curve. I hope WoWS doesn't follow the same strategy.

Player Count and Squads (Or whatever the WoWS term is for squad) - So hope that 9v9 is just alpha for the sake of matchmaking, and that it will eventually go to 15 like PC. Also I'm really hoping for smaller squad sizes than what is currently in WoT, it gets to be no fun going up against a fifth of a team who are coordinating well. Also the increased size detracts from individual accolades, as there are 'too many mouths to feed' as it were. I'd like to see smaller squad sizes as it's generally more enjoyable for everyone. 

Edited by New Faded Gl0ry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, New Faded Gl0ry said:

Hey, Ruthless, been awhile. That helped some. 

Also, where's general discussion? I couldn't find it so I just posted in off topic.

There's a game discussion section but I don't think you create threads in it, I could be wrong but off topic may be the only place you can create new threads. You can comment on post in other sections tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, New Faded Gl0ry said:

First off, I've played WoT Xbox since beta (though not very recently), was a Supertester almost two years, and was at one point very active in the WoT console community (left for a number of reasons).  I was always interested in WoWS since launch on PC and was happy to see it finally coming to consoles. After recently seeing things out in the wild about the game I watched Jingles' video on it, and some red flags were raised.

As everything I've seen from the game so far has been secondhand, my concerns may well be me misinterpreting them, but I figure what's the harm in asking? So here's a couple concerns I'd like clarified:

The 'Package' System - From the few videos I've seen, the way upgrades are handled is similar to WoT console in that there are multiple things grouped together, and you aren't given a choice of prioritizing what to select.  This was always an annoyance for me in WoT and made many grinds even worse, in that - for example - an engine for a LT that costs 10k xp is also bundled with a marginally better radio (fairly useless), and a marginally better gun (LT so doesn't matter), but that's still bad. Now that makes the useful engine upgrade cost 45k in the package instead of 10k as a single module, inflating the grind and forcing you to go without your preferred upgrade for a much longer period. Please tell me it isn't like that (from everything I've seen, it was).

The Tech Trees - I'm just going to assume that tiers 8-10 are going to be there, and that 7 max so far is due to it being in alpha.  Also the restructuring of some premiums in to non premiums leads me the believe that higher use tech tree ships from PC may be purposefully ommited and rebranded premiums. I also hope that premiums are no better than what you can get from the tech tree in terms of an edge. WoT console started introducing better-that-tech-tree-counterpart premiums right around the time I stopped playing. Furthermore, In WoT console tanks with high skill ceilings tended to get nerfed for no reason (TVP T50, Foch line ect). There was no reason for these changes ultimately, other than to appease the lowest commen denomination, they were never "better" than other tanks, only that a higher skill level was required to do better, and they had a steeper learning curve. I hope WoWS doesn't follow the same strategy.

Player Count and Squads (Or whatever the WoWS term is for squad) - So hope that 9v9 is just alpha for the sake of matchmaking, and that it will eventually go to 15 like PC. Also I'm really hoping for smaller squad sizes than what is currently in WoT, it gets to be no fun going up against a fifth of a team who are coordinating well. Also the increased size detracts from individual accolades, as there are 'too many mouths to feed' as it were. I'd like to see smaller squad sizes as it's generally more enjoyable for everyone. 

You're not wrong on the package/single line system. It's a travesty for multiple reasons that I will go over in a video/big post. I had hoped to at least streamline upgrades into the most efficient path but never could get that ball rolling. 

 

Radios didn't cost xp on WoT Console btw. 

Most of the swaps for premium ships are all at the lower tier and there are some definite upgrades among them. Ishizuchi is a lot more enjoyable than the Myogi for instance. 

PC games are 12v12 btw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CodenameGunther said:

You're not wrong on the package/single line system. It's a travesty for multiple reasons that I will go over in a video/big post. I had hoped to at least streamline upgrades into the most efficient path but never could get that ball rolling. 

 

Radios didn't cost xp on WoT Console btw. 

Most of the swaps for premium ships are all at the lower tier and there are some definite upgrades among them. Ishizuchi is a lot more enjoyable than the Myogi for instance. 

PC games are 12v12 btw. 

I never understood the package system. In my opinion it only did more harm than good, lengthening bad grinds and to further incentivise premium purchases. Also couldn't remember radios xp because it's been so long since I've played, but the point is the same anyway.

Good to hear about the premium reshuffling though, so long as it stays pay to progress, and doesn't become pay to win.

Edited by New Faded Gl0ry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, New Faded Gl0ry said:

I never understood the package system. In my opinion it only did more harm than good, lengthening bad grinds and to further incentivise premium purchases. Also couldn't remember radios xp because it's been so long since I've played, but the point is the same anyway.

Good to hear about the premium reshuffling though, so long as it stays pay to progress, and doesn't become pay to win.

Well, they are a free to play game and do need to make money somehow...

Edited by RuefulCenturion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RuefulCenturion said:

Well, they are a free to play game and do need to make money somehow...

So are the PC versions and they don't need packages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe their reasoning for only 7 tiers is to not stretch out the player base. Im sure once population grows and matches are regularly filled with non bots , higher tiers will be unlocked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×