Hi all,

Just is just some of my initial first thoughts on Legends.  I have playing playing console tanks for 4 years,  World of Warships on the PC for 3, and World of Warships Blitz for about 2 months.  Some of these items might be more opinion based preferences than game issues.

1.  The HUD layout feels a bit awkward. I think I would prefer the mini-map in the lower right hand corner as opposed to the upper left.  It might just be me needing to take some getting used to, but after 3 hours of play this morning it still feels a bit off to me.  Console Tanks and PC Ships are lower right and it feels more natural to me there.

2. Controller settings?  How about using the letter buttons for consumables? Then using the D pad for adjusting weapon systems and throttle. 'UP' would be forward (several taps to increase throttle) and 'DOWN' would be reverse.  'RIGHT' could be ammo type (if using Guns) or Torp spreads, 'LEFT" would be weapon changing (torps or guns).  Or at least making this layout an option.

3. I assume at some point we will be able to look at after action reports, see everyone's stats, kills, and so on.

4. I did notice a few times that when you turn your ship towards incoming torpedoes, your ship will block your view of the torps.  DDs this isn't too much of a problem but on larger ships losing where that torp gets blocked by your ship.  Maybe change the angles of the camera view a bit? 

5.  Changing camera views. I'm ok with using the button and that's not an issue. But maybe a 3rd view. You can have Close, Middle and Far.  The ship always seems to close to the camera.  Having a farther back view might also help with #5 above.

6.  Radial Commands. I am going to guess that at some point we will have additional options?  Like while in Radial view being able to press A or B to switch 'pages' to show additional communication options.

7. An option to see your ships stats while in game. I know on the PC simply holding down 'H' will your ships stats.  Obviously we cannot do this on console. But maybe using the game menu button. Where you can quit, continue, settings on the left, on the right show your ships stats.  Gun Range, Damage, Detection Range, Max Speed, Torp Ranges and Damage, Visibility ranges..

I'll probably add more to this thread as I play the game and get a better feel for it. I'm not even sure this is the right place for it, so Mod/Admin feel free to move it if needed.

I do like the game. It does seem a bit simplistic, closer in relation to Blitz like it's optimized for a mobile device instead of a console.  I'll keep plugging away.  Is there any NDA about posting videos on youtube on the game play?  Can I do that?  I probably missed a thread that said NOOOOOOO. lol

-Wraith

Edited by Wraith Calling
Adding good stuff.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Wraith Calling said:

1.  The HUD layout feels a bit awkward. I think I would prefer the mini-map in the lower right hand corner as opposed to the upper left.  It might just be me needing to take some getting used to, but after 3 hours of play this morning it still feels a bit off to me.  Console Tanks and PC Ships are lower right and it feels more natural to me.

5.  Changing camera views. I'm ok with using the button and that's not an issue. But maybe a 3rd view. You can have Close, Middle and Far.  The ship always seems to close to the camera.  Having a farther back view might also help with #5 above.

Both of these are spot on. Due to the close view of your ship, situational awareness is incredibly difficult to maintain, and I constantly find myself looking lower-right for my minimap  

Also, with the joystick click to target, I’m consistently targeting different enemies on accident when the fighting gets intense, which can be really bad when you’re in a real furball. 

Otherwise, an excellent job so far, and I’m really enjoying the game. 

Edited by Suspect_At_Large
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My rundown so far, bearing in mind I have no prior experience with WoWS in any form:

Pros - aesthetically it looks great so far; gameplay is smooth (no hiccups or jitter); making things like PvP and commander access linked to experience level is a nice way to ease new players into the action; on the whole RNG doesn’t seem to be as influential as WoT (maybe I just haven’t noticed as much) and I like that there is no premium ammo.  Contrary to others’ opinions, I like the mini map being top rather than bottom screen, since torpedoes and nearby obstacles need to be seen in the lower portion of the HUD.

Cons - the torpedo aiming mechanics are not intuitive or perhaps feel clunky; it does feel like a farther view is needed to help situational awareness; small things could be improved, such as making the highlight box stand out more when over a given ship (right now it’s brighter white, like bold, but can get lost), providing more guided information on upgrades and slots, and some sort of descriptor/guide on the strengths/weaknesses of various classes.  WoT is infamous for requiring players to find online sources to learn the game properly - there is no reason to continue the trend here.

Those are my current thoughts as a total noob to Warships.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has pretty much said what i would i would only add.

1. When the voice says anything it takes a second or so for the battle sounds to come back to normal.

2. Everything is a little to bright making it hard to see some things.

3. The Hud is awkward being top left. Just a suggestion. 

086173.jpg

Adding to my original post,

I think the tier compression will end up being a smart move.  Given how contentious the MM is in WoTC, it makes sense to reduce the tier range available to MM in WoWSL.  

PART II

8.   Upgrades -  I feel that we need to able to remove them if we do not like the change.  Maybe with a partial refund on credits.  There are some upgrades that do not always feel worth it depending on your playing style.  IE..  Clemson Final Torp upgrade adds +1800 damage, and also adds +26 seconds to the reload.  If you purchase it and decide you'd rather have the faster reload you are stuck with it.  

9.  Upgrades 2 - On the ship upgrade I would like to see the stats impacted by the upgrade in a side by side comparison of Before/After without having to jump back out all the way to the tech tree to see stats. 

10.  Tech Tree - Found what I was missing.  😄

Probably more thoughts to come.

Edited by Wraith Calling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, woo67 said:

Everyone has pretty much said what i would i would only add.

1. When the voice says anything it takes a second or so for the battle sounds to come back to normal.

2. Everything is a little to bright making it hard to see some things.

3. The Hud is awkward being top left. Just a suggestion. 

086173.jpg

Woo looking at your screenshot.  What about moving ship icon in bottom center AND the red highlighted stats all the way to the right.  Then the Black highlighted consumables and HP in the center bottom area.  Mini-map still lower right.

31 minutes ago, Wraith Calling said:

Woo looking at your screenshot.  What about moving ship icon in bottom center AND the red highlighted stats all the way to the right.  Then the Black highlighted consumables and HP in the center bottom area.  Mini-map still lower right.

Whatever works lol. I found that picture on line

PART III

11. Upgrades (again)  - The choice to decide which upgrades to purchase would be nice. Do I want an engine upgrade, gun upgrade or torp upgrade?  The whole upgrade system seems like a copy/paste of Blitz, I understand the need for that one to be so simplified it's for a mobile device, but so far I'm rather disappointed with it.  It is even LESS COMPLICATED than the Blitz.. how did you manage that? The cost in XPs seems random?  What's the deciding factor on how much XP an upgrade costs?

12.  Captains -  While this is completely different from PC, I do like it. It is taking some getting used to though. The choices in skill and the way the skills can be improved I think is interesting.  Also the fact that you can change around your skills without spending gold to do it (looking at you PC) is a good thing, and hopefully that stays.

• Like 1

You could just make each element a data-driven sprite tile with an alpha layer, then have a screen in your profile area where you can size and place them all where you want them - give it a background like an in game shot, you move the layout where you want it, save it, and go.

You could even save a profile for each class of ships - say you want your HUD this way for DDs and that way for BBs, or even ship by ship. So when you play that class or ship, it loads the interface you want.

This probably wouldn't be as difficult as it sounds - those things are almost certainly already data-driven sprite s with alpha layers - you "just" need a customization screen, and a set of variables saying which subset to access for which class or ship.  (A programmer might put a curse on me - things often seem easier to the UI artist than they do to the programmers. 🙂 )

interface idea.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wraith Calling said:

PART III

11. Upgrades (again)  - The choice to decide which upgrades to purchase would be nice. Do I want an engine upgrade, gun upgrade or torp upgrade?  The whole upgrade system seems like a copy/paste of Blitz, I understand the need for that one to be so simplified it's for a mobile device, but so far I'm rather disappointed with it.  It is even LESS COMPLICATED than the Blitz.. how did you manage that? The cost in XPs seems random?  What's the deciding factor on how much XP an upgrade costs?

For whatever reason they feel the PC version upgrades is too complicated for console users. Although even my 10 year old prefers it on PC vs legends, and don't forget games like Gran Turismo exsist and sell well, and other games with complex crafting systems and upgrade on console.

Shame really, it could of taken legends from just good to great. But they decided to scale it down.

For me there are two main items that I would like to see updates for on the base game. First, the pre-set controls don't all have the same abilities. Using the rudder lock as an example, I olny saw it on two of six pre-sets available on the PS4 but find very useful. I'd also like to see the ability to just press the aim button when I want to aim in, and again when I want to get back to normal rather than hold the button the whole time.

Second for switching ammo between he and AP, I would like to see a repeat of the PC version - one tap for load after next volley, double to load immediately. It's a minor detail, but makes planning next moves easier.

Other than those two, I'm finding it a relatively easy transition to PS4 and haven't see any noticable bugs in gameplay.

5 hours ago, Ruthless4u said:

For whatever reason they feel the PC version upgrades is too complicated for console users. Although even my 10 year old prefers it on PC vs legends, and don't forget games like Gran Turismo exsist and sell well, and other games with complex crafting systems and upgrade on console.

Shame really, it could of taken legends from just good to great. But they decided to scale it down.

They could just try the WoTC model eventually right?

2 minutes ago, Squibeel said:

They could just try the WoTC model eventually right?

As much as I hate the WOTC model, at least you had option to choose instead of forced linear line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think I'll be able to play anymore before the Beta Test Ends. 

I do like the game and think it has potential to be very good. 

Thanks to the staff who allowed me to play it ahead of time and hopefully I will get a chance to play it in Beta next time as well.

-Wraith

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.