Shad Thompson

Closed Beta Review by StarJewelian

So Im going to talk about what I view as good and whats not good/needing improvement.

I want to say first off that I am a 3 year player on PC with 112 ships in port currently and commander of the 8492 Squadron Clan. So I do have a bit of experiance.

First off the Goods; 

Graphics

They are wonderful. Its very rare that there will be more graphic details on a Console than a PC regarding splashes of the water when a shell hits the water. It was absolutely stunning to see the effects. 

Controls.

At first, I was a skeptic about the controls. I was worried that it would be weird in comparison to the Key Board and Mouse but the way the actions are mapped. Its easy to pick up and get going. There were times of course as a veteran player that my left thumb would stray to the D Pad to accelerate or decrease speed. The only thing that concerns me with the D Pad and abilities is that currently Seattle has Defensive AA, Radar, Hydro, Repair and Heal. That is a total of 5 abilities and the D pad only has 4 directions. So I can see Wargaming needing to change how some ships work by reducing their ability in comparison to PC. Anyway, it was a job well done and near seamless transition from Keyboard to Controller.

Gameplay.

It was thrilling to play World of Warships on a huge flat screen tv. The gameplay was extremely engaging to the extent that I spent a non stop 16 hours. You also dont have to always worry about scrolling to zoom in on your target and aiming was smooth.  I did however notice that the gameplay was faster paced. I mean much much more faster. 

Needs of improvements / Dislikes

Map.

Okay, so Im going to say the one thing that bugged me most was the map. I absolutely absolutely hated how invasive it was to my field of vision while at the same time still a bit too small for me to see the details I need to see. I need to have the ability to make it larger and more transparent so as not to affect the field of vision while at the same time getting the details I need like the PC. Also, not only was the map invasive and a bit too small to read details. I dont have enough intel on the map. I need more than just firing range fan and ship detectability. I need air detectability, I need Secondaries and AA range fans. I need hydro and radar. These range fans are crucial to the gameplay that dictates actions and I think there should be a part in the options menu to customize your map the way you want it. Lastly, when hitting the back button on Xbox One Controller. It shows the map in full screen mode with grids. I think you should be allowed to highlight grids from there to focus attention to a location as well as having ABC, 123 to identify grids. I had an issue with location communication with my team when I was unable to discuss locational tactics.

3rd Person View

I enjoy seeing the ship close up at times but in all honesty. The 3rd person view needs to be set further back from the ship. The worst thing in player gameplay aside from trolling is tunnel vision. Unfortunately, with the 3rd person so close to the ship. It severely reduces my peripheral vision and gives me more tunnel vision. I kept slamming into islands while fighting which I rarely ever do on PC. 

Commanders

I feel a bit off with the Commander situation. I feel like it's a bit restrictive and lacking in choices. I dont want a this or that choice and when the commander levels up, so too does the quality of the skill. This is a moment of which the saying " if it aint broke, dont fix it" applies and no need to " reinvent the wheel."

Lastly,

The Inability to Prioritize a Target for Secondaries/AA.

Maybe Ive completely missed it or I had no idea how to use it. However I am most certainly not the only one in a group of veterans that I've played with that were wondering the same thing.

How do I priority Target?? I could not figure it out nor could they. 

If it doesnt exist, make it happen Wargaming. If it does, make it more obvious cause it went way over our heads and couldn't figure it out.

• Thanks 1

Agree with most of that, but want to echo the comment about secondaries, I couldn’t find a way to prioritize targets.

also agree with the speed of play,  it’s way faster than the pc version and I too found myself running aground while targeting.

very impressed with it though, I didn’t think the transition to console would work but it’s excellent!

• Thanks 1

They stated they want BBs to move in closer to the action by lowering there fireing range so it will force confrontations between the ships more quickly as ships won't sit back if they can't shoot at a target 25km away. 

As cool as that is. I kind of agree but then that means they have to buff concealment as it would be unfair to be spotted without having the range to actually hit enemies. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it. But if you ask me. DDs got shafted the most. I found it near impossible to play DDs on console. When as on PC I consider my self an expert, mainly do to the fact that they globally nerfed torpedo speed, as well as smoke duration. Some of the early ijn dds smoke don't last but 15 seconds once deployed which really put me off. it put me off so much I jumped into ijn cruisers and I am enjoying them more. 

The best thing the commanders is not having to train so many for a line. Looks very annoying and time-consuming on PC having to train essential skills for a whole line of ships. Like IFHE for example. That's quite a few 14-point captains you would need. But hopefully WG will properly spec the commanders for each class and/or line. 

@John-berg1995

The smoke Nerf on DD's is temporary. Can't remember the exact reason but had to do with AI DD's during standard battles. It should of only affected tier 3,4 DD's during the closed beta as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ruthless4u said:

@John-berg1995

The smoke Nerf on DD's is temporary. Can't remember the exact reason but had to do with AI DD's during standard battles. It should of only affected tier 3,4 DD's during the closed beta as well.

Tier II and III. 

• Like 1

Considered this was the first beta test the game mechanics were very good obviously the developers will be working hard to improve it but yes it gets my vote I honestly hope this game comes quick to ps4 it'll be as popular as the tanks if not more !

• Like 1

I got on really well with the controller so will done!  I was a tad dubious about how it would work but I found that most things fell to hand and the conversion form keyboard to controller was pretty easy and natural.  Thanks :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John-berg1995 said:

They stated they want BBs to move in closer to the action by lowering there fireing range so it will force confrontations between the ships more quickly as ships won't sit back if they can't shoot at a target 25km away. 

As cool as that is. I kind of agree but then that means they have to buff concealment as it would be unfair to be spotted without having the range to actually hit enemies. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it. But if you ask me. DDs got shafted the most. I found it near impossible to play DDs on console. When as on PC I consider my self an expert, mainly do to the fact that they globally nerfed torpedo speed, as well as smoke duration. Some of the early ijn dds smoke don't last but 15 seconds once deployed which really put me off. it put me off so much I jumped into ijn cruisers and I am enjoying them more. 

Hey Bud, just read your thread. While I played as a DD. Yes, the smoke at first lasted 15 ish seconds and I would have had an issue with that too if it continued. However at Tier 4, theyre about a minute so world is back to normal. I did not notice at all that the DDs have been nerfed to the extent that they have been ruined or severely disadvantaged. I felt they were perfectly balanced considering how there is way more dds than BBs on average anyway, still hard to hit with BBs increased dispersion rate and the lack of secondary priority target ability.

I do agree with you that the World of Warships did feel a lil better on a BB side of things in relation to going against DDs when they're hard charging at you. Its good for DDs to once again fear the King of the Seas at close range and respect the capitol ship which isint as recognized on PC.

Lastly, I agree with you 100 percent that if the game is close encounter and faster paced. Then the concealment of DDs likewise should be more stealthy and detectability range fans smaller. The game isint finished yet and we did play low to mid tiers so final judgement. DDs are still nicely balanced.

Edited by Shad Thompson
  • Thanks 1

Good review. Thank you. I also agree your field of view advises. It will clearly be useful for everyone. This is what i say after begining of alpha. Sadly didnt see positive feedback except from @T33kanne

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RuefulCenturion said:

The best thing the commanders is not having to train so many for a line. Looks very annoying and time-consuming on PC having to train essential skills for a whole line of ships. Like IFHE for example. That's quite a few 14-point captains you would need. But hopefully WG will properly spec the commanders for each class and/or line. 

So a more in depth counter argument. Not saying your opinion is wrong. I just respectfully disagree. So I personally like the Commander Levels and choices on PC and how difficult it is to earn that type of perk. I believe it creates an actual advantage that you earn which makes your ship unqiue in the Battlefield. If everyone begins to have the same skill which essentially happens with World of Warships Legends. How then are you creating something unique? For example my Bismark. On PC, I have the Manual Fire Control and the AA abilities unlocked. When a Midway flies the planes to me, the CV player is in shock that Im actually able to shoot down the planes which most other Bismark players cant do because they choose other specs. I cant have the same freedom of choice on Legends as I do on PC. That's why I firmly believe in a huge array of commander perk choices in comparison to what we have now and my fear is everyone will have the same build eventually and then the last questions remain. If everyone has the same upgrades, is it then an upgrade? Or is it the Standard? 

1 hour ago, Shad Thompson said:

So a more in depth counter argument. Not saying your opinion is wrong. I just respectfully disagree. So I personally like the Commander Levels and choices on PC and how difficult it is to earn that type of perk. I believe it creates an actual advantage that you earn which makes your ship unqiue in the Battlefield. If everyone begins to have the same skill which essentially happens with World of Warships Legends. How then are you creating something unique? For example my Bismark. On PC, I have the Manual Fire Control and the AA abilities unlocked. When a Midway flies the planes to me, the CV player is in shock that Im actually able to shoot down the planes which most other Bismark players cant do because they choose other specs. I cant have the same freedom of choice on Legends as I do on PC. That's why I firmly believe in a huge array of commander perk choices in comparison to what we have now and my fear is everyone will have the same build eventually and then the last questions remain. If everyone has the same upgrades, is it then an upgrade? Or is it the Standard? 

The best part is, one of the reasons for the way the skills are on legends( and same with ship upgrades) is to avoid cookie cutter builds. They are trying to avoid everyone using the same skills set and ship upgrades. Don't belive me ask @Not Cerberus

Makes perfect sense right?

Edited by Ruthless4u
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all honesty. I felt Legends was more cookie cutter. As explained with my Bismark, i went secondary build and AA. Most go for Secondary and Survival with reducing fire or concealment.

Who knows. Maybe there is more to it in the full game. I can only judge what I got for now. I in fact hope that I am wrong. Ill check out the @Not Cerberus🙂

Edited by Shad Thompson

2 hours ago, Shad Thompson said:

I'm only pointing out a benefit, I certainly agree that there should be more choice. But I can see that they're attempting to create a better experience for both casual and new players who may not have the time or knowledge to develop skilled commanders. They'd also point out we're not PC; things like secondaries and AA will probably have to be simplified for controllers. They're trying to appeal to more gamers, have them spend less time in port, and get them engaged in battles quicker. 

The best and more knowledgeable players will still rise to the top. 

Edited by RuefulCenturion
  • Like 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.