Sign in to follow this  
StockrA

WOW-PC Help

Ok, so I came back to ships pc after I heard it was coming to console, and well tanks, at the mo, I just can't be fudged playing it, and after playing ships, i don't think I can go back.

Figured this place needs a noob thread, and a lot of you on here play pc so can help us nubs loads :Smile_teethhappy:

I've got myself 3 premium ships now, Marblehead, Warspite and the Sharnhorst, they come with premium camo, if i take the camo off and put on say stars and stripes (i've got 6), once i've used up all 6, will i still be able to use the premo camo or will it charge me.

Static and dynamic cross hair, watched a vid last night on it, and the guy said dynamic was better and easier to use, is this true, because i switched for a few game's and found i was missing loads of shots compared to using static, since switched back and trying type 12

How do you cope when nearly all your team camp, been in a few games now, the big ships just dropped back, or not moved

52 minutes ago, StockrA said:

Ok, so I came back to ships pc after I heard it was coming to console, and well tanks, at the mo, I just can't be fudged playing it, and after playing ships, i don't think I can go back.

Figured this place needs a noob thread, and a lot of you on here play pc so can help us nubs loads :Smile_teethhappy:

I've got myself 3 premium ships now, Marblehead, Warspite and the Sharnhorst, they come with premium camo, if i take the camo off and put on say stars and stripes (i've got 6), once i've used up all 6, will i still be able to use the premo camo or will it charge me.

Static and dynamic cross hair, watched a vid last night on it, and the guy said dynamic was better and easier to use, is this true, because i switched for a few game's and found i was missing loads of shots compared to using static, since switched back and trying type 12

How do you cope when nearly all your team camp, been in a few games now, the big ships just dropped back, or not moved

The premium camo that comes with a premium ship is permanent and always available at no additional cost.

I use the static crosshair myself due to the reasons you mentioned - the dynamic simply didn't work for me.

A lot of players need a leader. At the beginning of the match I usually try to find out which caps our DDs will contest. I'll then offer support and push up with them, although lagging behind in order not to be immediately focused. Asking for a ship or two to join you will usually yeild decent results. If absolutely no one will contest a cap or push up, stick with the crowd and use them as meat shields while you farm as much as you can. Unlike tanks, failure to contest caps is basically a guaranteed loss.

Notser and Flamu do an excellent job explaining strategy, if you're into watching some YouTube.

• Like 2

Thats cool then, the bonus on that camo is good, seems a waste using it on a tt or does it matter. I's a shame things like this ain't in tanks and the rewards for missions are cool to, the free crates for xp, does everyone always pick supercrate, had one this morning with a 1000gold and two in a row yesterday, one of them having a shed load of coal, think im on 22k coal now

Yeah, thats what i'm doing, following and trying to support the dd's, thats ok then, looks like i'm doing something right then.

Been playing cruiser class mainly, seems the best class to learn in

For me, camo use on tech tree ships depends on how quickly I want to grind it and what the other bonuses are. Camo that has huge free XP or commander XP bonuses are reserved for premium ships, since I can really stack up XP. I've been using a back log of Valentine's camo to grind North Carolina.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StockrA said:

Thats cool then, the bonus on that camo is good, seems a waste using it on a tt or does it matter. I's a shame things like this ain't in tanks and the rewards for missions are cool to, the free crates for xp, does everyone always pick supercrate, had one this morning with a 1000gold and two in a row yesterday, one of them having a shed load of coal, think im on 22k coal now

Yeah, thats what i'm doing, following and trying to support the dd's, thats ok then, looks like i'm doing something right then.

Been playing cruiser class mainly, seems the best class to learn in

Marmoset summed it up pretty neatly!  I use special camo on everything.... when you earn soooo many for free there’s no reason to not use them on TT ships!  Those bonuses always stack and they’re always helpful....... they’re especially nice when you stack them with Economic Flags and run PvE missions!  Besides.... they’re just fun to see on your own ship!

I play a mix of DD, BB, and Cruisers... tactics always change depending on situations!

• Like 1

I've only got 6 frosty fir tree, 6 stars 'n stripes and 91 type 5 atm, will have to build these up, haven't got any flags yet, signals i have plenty of.

Am i locked to the eu server or can i switch  like tanks, have asked this in another thread, but can't remember what thread or if it someone replied :Smile_teethhappy:

Cheers for help so far much appreciated

3 hours ago, StockrA said:

@RagingxMarmoset did a pretty good job with explaining this.  An alternate method is to give the team a brief window to see if they say anything.  If not, tell them that you are going somewhere and go to that heading.  Someone will either chime in with a different strategy or you typically get some support.  By doing this though, you become the shot caller and most likely the tip of the spear, so be ready to take an impromptu leadership role and the responsibility that comes with it.  This doesn't work all the time and you will notice yourself sailing off alone after being promptly ignored.  At this moment fall back on Marmoset's Oh Great, Now I'm in a Bowl of Potato Soup and I Should Probably Just Try to Salvage as Much Credits and XP Out of this Loss as Possible tactic.

43 minutes ago, StockrA said:

I've only got 6 frosty fir tree, 6 stars 'n stripes and 91 type 5 atm, will have to build these up, haven't got any flags yet, signals i have plenty of.

Am i locked to the eu server or can i switch  like tanks, have asked this in another thread, but can't remember what thread or if it someone replied :Smile_teethhappy:

Cheers for help so far much appreciated

Just keep at the game.  You will become loaded down with camos and signals, most of the time without even being aware that you're doing the mission for them.  You'll just come back to port after a battle and see a reward notification and be all  "What...on Earth did I get these for...oh, I guess I earned 5000 base XP today.  Neat."  

The most important thing I think I've learned over the past nearly three years is that some days you feel like your not going to get better.  The losses stack up and your head has knocked a few keys out of your keyboard and the egos and toxicity on the forums when you try to find help is just adding additional blows.  Just keep playing and watching others who are willing to teach and keep practicing.  What I started to do was, first of all enable replays, and second I started noting the ones I felt went really badly or really great and recording them with a (free) screen capture software so I don't lose the ability to watch them when the game updates.  Once a week I will watch some good and I analyze what I did right and some bad to understand what I did wrong.  I also analyze how the team behaved around me.  Did I hinder or help them?  Did they hinder or help me?  Is there anything I can learn from what they were doing, right or wrong?  You discover a lot when you're not actively trying not to die and focusing on the more subtle things.

Hoped this helped at all, and glad you're with us and wanting to learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey there OP, welcome back to WoWs PC. A lot has probably changed since you left, but in the same sense a lot hasn't.

With that said, I am the opposite of WastelandMadGod. I don't talk all too much in game, especially in the beginning. I go where I need to go given the ship I am playing. I play a pretty even split of BB's and CA/CL's with a little bit of DD's, and I'm fully aware of the subtle nuances of each of the tech lines. For instance, I won't hang back in a Bismarck or G Kurf, but on the flip side I won't be so aggressive as to die in the first 5 minutes (there's a difference).

I've been around since Open Beta and the only videos I've watched in full have been by NoZoupForYou and his reviews on premiums. I tried to watch Noster and Flamu, but I found both of them bias and off target with regards to actual game play and usage of certain types of ships. Some people swear by them and that's fine, but take anything you watch on YouTube from anyone with a grain of salt. Form your own opinions on ships, etc.

To get back into the swing of things, upon loading in, just give it a couple of seconds before even moving just to see where people are going. Pay attention to the "how, what and when" the different tech lines act/react in different maps and near caps. 

If you're in a BB, the longest torps now are only 12km, with the exception of the Asashio (Tier 8 DD) and the Shimakaze (Tier 10 DD), both of which have 20km torp ranges. 

CA/CL's are really versitile and take a bit of getting used to. Depending on who you talk to, they are either fun and can be devistating or they are broken and explode just by looking at them.

DD's are the same as CA/CL's though with the new split of the USN Cruiser line, there has been a temporary influx of cruiser leveling. With that comes more radar, hence the end of the world. No doubt it's tougher than normal, but it's temporary.

And finally CV's, well CV's are getting completely reworked. The eta on completion however is unknown. I don't play them so I don't know what's broken. What I do know is that CV's are less forgiving in the skill gap than any other ship, more so versus each other. So if one team has a veteran CV Captain and the other has a fairly average one, no matter what the average one does, it seems that the veteran can just run them over. After that, it's a free for all on ships.

Anyway, a bit long winded I know, but that was actually a small summary. lol Give it some time, get to know your maps again, positioning for the ship you're in, etc. and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

o7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In some games (especially the higher tiers) you still can't win if nobody spawn camps. There are always ops going on, so just go out there and do the best you can.  Damages = XP + money.

• Like 1

Yeah, think it was brouge who said in another thread, not to bother with CV's at the mo. I've seen some good players using them, completely change the course of the game, had one the other night take out the last 5 ships on his own, think he had luck on his side mind, they was quite split up over the map.

I've noticed the normal game mode, and isit encounter with the circles inside each other, noticed these two modes can be quite campy

If we have campy DDs then that game is truly screwed. Game is equally screwed when DDs refused to go into cap circles using cowardly excuse like afraid of radars.

Cruiser with high firing arc and high RoFs tend to campy behind islands and smoke screens.

High tiers BBs tend to not wanting to expose their flank. So they just drive forward/backward in/out of enemy's range for as long as possible.

Personally I don't care that much about win-rate or survival-rate but I guess some do.

I understand the BB staying back a bit, with the slow reloads and turning, but the dd's have the speed..

I had a giggle earlier, I went to one of the cap's, realised i was on my own, done a u-turn, got spotted, thanks to that perk, i noticed i had 8 guns on me lol, zig zagging watching all the shells landing around me trying to get back to the other sheep

How offten to port sales pop up btw, how much and how many.

I'm not really sure on port slots. I've gotten a few from containers and never really had an issue. I'm not grinding much, though.

1 hour ago, StockrA said:

I have no idea.... lol!  I was playing WoWs quite heavily while I was waiting for the PS4 WoT Beta and completed the Arpeggio missions..... twice!  I earned about 10 free port slots from all that.... I’ve also earned a few other port slots through line splits/selling unwanted ships.  The good thing is that you can earn Doubloons, which you can then use to buy an extra slot or two!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dcr66 said:

If we have campy DDs then that game is truly screwed. Game is equally screwed when DDs refused to go into cap circles using cowardly excuse like afraid of radars.

i have a friend that is a Carrier main, when the DDs dont contest capture points, he will sail in and do it himself. and cuss out the DDs for not doing their role.

somehow, he still has a shitload of karma 🤔

Edited by Soldier09V5

3 hours ago, StockrA said:

There is usually a port slot sale four to six times a year that you can by them individually for 150 Doubloons instead of 300, but a few times (on slightly rarer occasions) they sell them in bulk in the Premium Shop at like ten slots for seven dollars.  It's a good deal if you're a ship hoarder like me, or you just want that extra breathing room if your going up several different lines.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, WastelandMadGod said:

There is usually a port slot sale four to six times a year that you can by them individually for 150 Doubloons instead of 300, but a few times (on slightly rarer occasions) they sell them in bulk in the Premium Shop at like ten slots for seven dollars.  It's a good deal if you're a ship hoarder like me, or you just want that extra breathing room if your going up several different lines.

Ah, sales on now then, I'm sure i seen 150 for a port last night.

Nope, 300 now

Edited by StockrA

It pays to watch the portal for announcements on that stuff. They'll do discounts on equipment and consumables, free XP conversion, camo, etc. 

Will do.

I hope the rewards are like this in the console version, also shows how much we get shafted on tanks, from supercrates so far, i've had 15k coal (at 22k now) 1000 gold and 50k free xp, and I bought myself 5 crates from the store, and had the mission for Cleveland and Atlanta, do you get the ports free with the mission ships?

8 minutes ago, StockrA said:

Will do.

I hope the rewards are like this in the console version, also shows how much we get shafted on tanks, from supercrates so far, i've had 15k coal (at 22k now) 1000 gold and 50k free xp, and I bought myself 5 crates from the store, and had the mission for Cleveland and Atlanta, do you get the ports free with the mission ships?

Port slots come with mission reward ships, and I don't know how many animals (or people) you sacrificed for RNGesus but tell me, I would like to pull containers like that.

Posted (edited)

Beginners luck i guess, prob jinxed myself now mind :Smile_teethhappy:

Thought I won big time just now, 3 tier x, for clan battles for nine days, at 1st i thought i got to keep em :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by StockrA

On 7/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, StockrA said:

ER5q0dO.jpg

When seals fight back

Nice match, dude. Clemson is widely regarded as a Seal Clubbers Delight. I've yet to play a match in a destroyer, though.

On 7/21/2018 at 2:39 PM, RagingxMarmoset said:

Nice match, dude. Clemson is widely regarded as a Seal Clubbers Delight. I've yet to play a match in a destroyer, though.

Can't wait to use them in the console version, can see this class causing a lot of tears for some :Smile_teethhappy:

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.