Calypso

Admiral William S. Sims

A fleet of the most powerful vessels would be of little use in war

without a personnel at least as efficient as that of our possible enemies.

Admiral William S. Sims

A prominent reformer in USN armament and gunnery standards, Admiral William Sims was one of the most influential figures in the marine service during the WWI. Three navy ships have been named for Admiral William S. Sims whose campaign for reform assured the United States Navy was prepared for challenges to come.

WG_WoWSL_ART_branding_WOWS_Legends_1920x1080_02.thumb.jpg.640b287c750dcecb074f939754be297b.jpg

• Sims was an advocate of the adoption of British naval gunnery methods. He was successful in improving the effectiveness of naval gunfire using the continuous aim system and eventually it was introduced throughout the fleet.
  • In 1911 Sims was appointed instructor at the Naval War College and in 1917 he eventually became its president.
  • Served as an inspector of naval target practice, invited by President Theodore Roosevelt himself. 
  • When the United States entered World War I that year he was promoted to vice admiral. During the war, he commanded the U.S. fleet that operated with Britain’s Royal Navy in European waters.
  • Sims served as naval attaché to the U.S. embassies in Paris and St. Petersburg from 1897 to 1900 during the Spanish-American War.
  • William Sims received a Pulitzer Prize for his collaboration with Burton J. Hendrick The Victory at Sea in which they shared their experiences in the WWI. 

Would you choose him to head your USN Fleet in World of Warships: Legends?

• Like 4

Love how the captains in the game are real people also is there somewhere I can view the tech trees already in the game as I would like to see what ships are already in the game as I have not been able to get a beta pass yet

• Like 1

Having spent 30 years in the Navy, while I did enjoy playing Tanks this looks to be much more my speed. Would be great to hear the Commanding Officer make reference to his Chief, as the Chief community are relied on throughout the Navy. 

• Thanks 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.