Ruthless4u

Would you like wargaming to make an AOS game similar to World of warships?

Future game idea poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see wargaming make a Age of Sail ship combat game similar to WoWs/WoWsL

• Yes
    • No
    • Might give it a shot
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other( please leave response)
  2. 2. Do you have an intrest in the age of sail fighting ships

• Yes
    • No
    • Never really thought about it
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other

AOS meaning Age Of Sail

Wargaming has done a good job with its warships game,  with it being on PC, tablet/mobile and now two major consoles I feel the would be potential for a succesful ship combat game with sailing ships. The potential pool of ships and nations as well as time period is much larger than modern era ships.

Thoughts, concerns, bad idea ruthless?

Chill out, Ruthless!! Lol! The game hasn’t even come close to being live yet.  Wait for us to actually populate a large community before you start hammering us with polls!:Smile_playing:

I joke, of course, lol!

I’m not sure if WG would do AOS.  There’s already a few other titles out there.  There’s one in particular coming quite soon as a AAA title.... and it might see public release right about the same time as WoWSL.  I actually believe they’ll ultimately be complimentary to each other as their competition in the market will drive greater interest in naval warfare games(resulting in a win/win as more people in general start liking shooty botes, modern or otherwise).

Wargaming would do a fine job with an AOS game.  If they ever did, you can bet I’d buy it.  But they’re doing great with WoWs and that’s ok.

Skull and Bones is going to smash it though.... it will likely become the standard for AOS games for years to come. 

I'm not sure what age of sail is so I don't really have an objective opinion.

1 minute ago, LadyTanker said:

I'm not sure what age of sail is so I don't really have an objective opinion.

Think, tall ships and pirates!  When most people mention “age of sail” that’s what they mean.  Historically speaking though.... “age of sail” basically covers Christopher Columbus(when European nations began sailing worldwide) up until the introduction of commercial steam ships at the turn of the 20th Century.

Just now, BrogueOne said:

Think, tall ships and pirates!  When most people mention “age of sail” that’s what they mean.  Historically speaking though.... “age of sail” basically covers Christopher Columbus(when European nations began sailing worldwide) up until the introduction of commercial steam ships at the turn of the 20th Century.

I did a google search and came up with a game from 1996. I wasn't sure if that is what ruthless is talking about. lol.

I think I would like a game with the ships you're talking about. Bring on the pirates too. 

3 hours ago, BrogueOne said:

Chill out, Ruthless!! Lol! The game hasn’t even come close to being live yet.  Wait for us to actually populate a large community before you start hammering us with polls!:Smile_playing:

I joke, of course, lol!

I’m not sure if WG would do AOS.  There’s already a few other titles out there.  There’s one in particular coming quite soon as a AAA title.... and it might see public release right about the same time as WoWSL.  I actually believe they’ll ultimately be complimentary to each other as their competition in the market will drive greater interest in naval warfare games(resulting in a win/win as more people in general start liking shooty botes, modern or otherwise).

Wargaming would do a fine job with an AOS game.  If they ever did, you can bet I’d buy it.  But they’re doing great with WoWs and that’s ok.

Skull and Bones is going to smash it though.... it will likely become the standard for AOS games for years to come. 

It would only be 2 polls if I could ask more than 3 questions lol.

Problem is skull and bones as well as SOT are stuck in the same traditional jack sparrow garbage pirate theme that the majority of AOS games are. If you want historical accuracy you have really slim pickings, Naval Action on PC is the closest to it I'm aware of and it's sinking fast. 

Threre is so much potential but no developers seem interested which is a shame for those who love history.

15 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

It would only be 2 polls if I could ask more than 3 questions lol.

Problem is skull and bones as well as SOT are stuck in the same traditional jack sparrow garbage pirate theme that the majority of AOS games are. If you want historical accuracy you have really slim pickings, Naval Action on PC is the closest to it I'm aware of and it's sinking fast. 

Threre is so much potential but no developers seem interested which is a shame for those who love history.

I can understand the anti- Jack Sparrow sentiment!!  I grew up doing historical reenactments with my father and I know better!  

I think it would be cool to control the Spanish Armada or Royal Navy and organize large scale strategic battles.  Maybe even some reverse- assassins creed where you hunt the pirates as side missions.  In the grand scope of the Golden Age of Sail, piracy was a tiny part of it..... most of the combat was fought between governments.  I definitely agree that there’s a niche to fill here!

I would imagine that it would be a gargantuan task to really make a spot-on historically accurate game.  I’m not even sure if willpower is the problem, it just might be something which is currently too difficult to get it right.  It could take years to properly render even a single fleet(let alone a few ships) if you’re trying to make every single bit of rigging, every plank, and every stitch of the sails exactly correct.

Theres definitely a demand thanks to us history nerds.  Maybe..... maybe.... with Skull and Bones and WoWSL coming to Consoles it’ll start to drive popular interest in historical naval games.  If both games are successful, maybe some other developers will step up and find a way to compete with their own games.  Competition drives innovation!

That sounds like a great idea, but I'm not too sure if there is enough blueprints,Documentation etc to get enough ships in.Not sure how they would be balanced either.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

That sounds like a great idea, but I'm not too sure if there is enough blueprints,Documentation etc to get enough ships in.Not sure how they would be balanced either.

Yeah some of them had a lot of guns, I think there's enough ships tho and nations

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.