LadyTanker

The legendary part of WOWSL

In discussion, I've heard some people concerned over what the "legends" part of the title will bring to the game. Can you talk a little bit more about that? Do you have any plans on going in a non-historical, mercenary type of direction? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One of my quotes from the Bunker elaborating on this

"Something doesn't seem right with me, it's the "Legends" part of the title. If WOT Xbox/Ps4 is anything to go by then I have a bad feeling that the Console version of Warships will be used to experiment with weird and goofy content on the console playerbase like Reskinned ships ETC. I know i'm probably just overexaggerating about the title but I am genuinely worried that it's going to end up just like WOT"

Edited by LIBARYKEEPER483
  • Like 1

WoWSL probably won’t be any less historical than its parent.  They don’t need to make Mercenaries or complete fabrications because there are just sooo many historical schematics and proposals that became(or nearly became) real ships.

”Legends” refers to legendary ships.... Yamato, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Hood, Iron Duke, etc.  Between WWI and WWII there were dozens of warships(hundreds, really) that made a name for themselves in action.  Wargaming even has a YT video series called: Naval Legends where they highlight the careers and actions of various legendary ships.

Ill say this again..... Legends won’t be any less historical than WoWs PC.  Pretty much all of your “non historical elements” come in the form of skins/camo and PC has the option to “hide non historical elements”.....WoWSL might also have that option.

WoWSL is going to be its own game, regardless.  It’s not PC and it’s not WoTC, and we should be ascribing any expectations based on our experience with them..... except that there’s botes... and guns.....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrogueOne said:

WoWSL probably won’t be any less historical than its parent.  They don’t need to make Mercenaries or complete fabrications because there are just sooo many historical schematics and proposals that became(or nearly became) real ships.

”Legends” refers to legendary ships.... Yamato, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Hood, Iron Duke, etc.  Between WWI and WWII there were dozens of warships(hundreds, really) that made a name for themselves in action.  Wargaming even has a YT video series called: Naval Legends where they highlight the careers and actions of various legendary ships.

Ill say this again..... Legends won’t be any less historical than WoWs PC.  Pretty much all of your “non historical elements” come in the form of skins/camo and PC has the option to “hide non historical elements”.....WoWSL might also have that option.

WoWSL is going to be its own game, regardless.  It’s not PC and it’s not WoTC, and we should be ascribing any expectations based on our experience with them..... except that there’s botes... and guns.....

I remember how much WGCB talked about how historically accurate WOTC was going to be and that it was going to be just like PC....Look where they are now. I have no doubt in my mind that WGSP won't deliver a great version of WOWs, but we cannot gloss over what WG has done with console ports/versions in the past.Warships Console will most likely have very little attention given to by WG HQ, giving Saint Petersburg free range over the console version.

That can end with 1 to 2 things, they turn legends into something special and make it the game we all dreamed of.....Or turn it into a broken cash grab mess like WOTC. I pray for the former and not the latter, but you can't blame people for fearing for the worst. However I still have 100% of my faith in Saint Petersburg. It's just that past actions mean that we just cannot take everything with a grain of salt.

I think there will be only ships that existed in real life, no blue prints ect

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

I remember how much WGCB talked about how historically accurate WOTC was going to be and that it was going to be just like PC....Look where they are now. I have no doubt in my mind that WGSP won't deliver a great port of WOWs, but we cannot gloss over what WG has done with console ports/versions in the past.Warships Console will most likely have very little attention given to by WG HQ, giving Saint Petersburg free range over the console version.

That can end with 1 to 2 things, they turn legends into something special and make it the game we all dreamed of.....Or turn it into a broken cash grab mess like WOTC. I pray for the former and not the latter, but you can't blame people for fearing for the worst. However I still have 100% of my faith in Saint Petersburg. It's just that past actions mean that we just cannot take everything with a grain of salt.

Look, bro...... WoWSL has already come right out of the gate and explicitly stated that they will be an independent game and not a port/copy of PC.

It’s ok if you want to be bitter and negative about WoTC, but leave it in the Bunker please.  Don’t start shooting WoWSL in the foot before you’ve even had a chance to step on deck.  If you go out of your way to only find things to be negative about, then you’ll only find negative things to talk about.

Warships are made from Steel with Hearts of Oak..... they’re not made of tinfoil.  Let’s all try to be honorable sailors and work together to sail this ship!  Please, I implore you, leave your bad attitudes in port where they belong!

(even I agree that WoTC has made questionable decisions.... but this isn’t the place for it... this is WoWSL and we should all be committed to making this the most positive community within the WG umbrella!)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's likely just a name to distinguish it from the PC.  Think WoT:  War Stories.  It does help some when tagging and reviewing videos and finding information/stats about specific tanks--and in the future presumably ships so as not to get confused with the PC version.  That being said it seems pretty purposeful in distinguishing it from PC, so as to say it will not be a PC port so don't expect PC things per se.

Mercenary ships would be interesting in how to develop.  I'm not sure how it could be done effectively though--16 inch gun on a destroyer or cruiser?  It just doesn't seem very mercenary.  Also, it seems like they should just do a separate game for that.  They would have a lot more freedom from expectations then and it wouldn't even need to be "mercenary" just alternate planet/timeline with warships.  

Perhaps legends refers to a special founders ship premium that will become legendary, never to be sold again?  :Smile_trollface: 

Edit:  ninja'd  lol can't find the cursor to type a response timely. 

Also, the idea that WG HQ would give console warships little attention and thus freedom is based upon what?  

Edited by Gallant Prime
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, BrogueOne said:

Look, bro...... WoWSL has already come right out of the gate and explicitly stated that they will be an independent game and not a port/copy of PC.

It’s ok if you want to be bitter and negative about WoTC, but leave it in the Bunker please.  Don’t start shooting WoWSL in the foot before you’ve even had a chance to step on deck.  If you go out of your way to only find things to be negative about, then you’ll only find negative things to talk about.

Warships are made from Steel with Hearts of Oak..... they’re not made of tinfoil.  Let’s all try to be honorable sailors and work together to sail this ship!  Please, I implore you, leave your bad attitudes in port where they belong!

(even I agree that WoTC has made questionable decisions.... but this isn’t the place for it... this is WoWSL and we should all be committed to making this the most positive community within the WG umbrella!)

I don't think he has a negative attitude. I'm also part of the bunker and his concerns are actually why I brought this up. A lot of people have been disappointed by the more recent course World of Tanks has gone. Since Wargaming is the parent company of them all, naturally those thoughts would come. I am hoping the team will talk about this and be able to put some of these concerns to rest. 

Edit: And if it is their plan to go in this direction, at least we might be able to be part of the discussion. 

Edited by LadyTanker
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, BrogueOne said:

"Don't start shooting WoWs in the foot" I literally said in my post that I have"100% faith in Saint Petersburg" PC was breathtaking  and i'm sure it will carry over quite nicely even with the limited controls. I am simply glossing over WGs past history with their console projects as a way of  refrence to the people talking about this. And I don't go out of my way to be negative. If all I cared about was hate and negativity I would have never signed up for the alpha. I'm just worried As the last project ended up in shambles. 

But I am genuinely Sorry if i'm not the most cuddling person to talk to but when you see one of your most favorite games of all time get turned into a dumpster fire mess. Then get turned away for some Facebook and Twitter idiots it's bound to make anyone bitter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

. I have no doubt in my mind that WGSP won't deliver a great port of WOWs

This is a repeated theme it seems. Not only here, now, but it was in the past in Open Beta of World of Warships to a certain degree.

This is "not" a port of World of Warships. It is not a port of World of Warships Blitz. It is not a variation of World of Tanks Console. It's been said quite a few times now by the devs, that this is a new development team.

I recall back in Open Beta of World of Warships that a bunch of tankers were greatly concerned that WoWs was nothing more than a reskin of WoT. After all, same gaming company, using the same game engine with a similar theme and even "some" similar mechanics. In turn they insisted that the game would inevitably be a carbon copy reskin. Yet the two are completely different games altogether.

This is no different. World of Warships Legends is and has been stated to be a stand alone title. So again, not a port, but that doesn't mean that it can't have influences from "what works" in other successful titles. 

I understand people's concern, but honestly the over concern that some people have voiced (not saying you) is a bit much. Especially considering the stand alone title aspect and how little is known yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sled_dog07 said:

This is a repeated theme it seems. Not only here, now, but it was in the past in Open Beta of World of Warships to a certain degree.

This is "not" a port of World of Warships. It is not a port of World of Warships Blitz. It is not a variation of World of Tanks Console. It's been said quite a few times now by the devs, that this is a new development team.

I recall back in Open Beta of World of Warships that a bunch of tankers were greatly concerned that WoWs was nothing more than a reskin of WoT. After all, same gaming company, using the same game engine with a similar theme and even "some" similar mechanics. In turn they insisted that the game would inevitably be a carbon copy reskin. Yet the two are completely different games altogether.

This is no different. World of Warships Legends is and has been stated to be a stand alone title. So again, not a port, but that doesn't mean that it can't have influences from "what works" in other successful titles. 

I understand people's concern, but honestly the over concern that some people have voiced (not saying you) is a bit much. Especially considering the stand alone title aspect and how little is known yet.

I meant to say version, just got a really bad habit of saying Port instead 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LIBARYKEEPER483 said:

I meant to say version, just got a really bad habit of saying Port instead 

Ah, I got ya.

18 hours ago, Gallant Prime said:

It's likely just a name to distinguish it from the PC.  Think WoT:  War Stories.  It does help some when tagging and reviewing videos and finding information/stats about specific tanks--and in the future presumably ships so as not to get confused with the PC version.  That being said it seems pretty purposeful in distinguishing it from PC, so as to say it will not be a PC port so don't expect PC things per se.

Mercenary ships would be interesting in how to develop.  I'm not sure how it could be done effectively though--16 inch gun on a destroyer or cruiser?  It just doesn't seem very mercenary.  Also, it seems like they should just do a separate game for that.  They would have a lot more freedom from expectations then and it wouldn't even need to be "mercenary" just alternate planet/timeline with warships.  

Perhaps legends refers to a special founders ship premium that will become legendary, never to be sold again?  :Smile_trollface: 

Edit:  ninja'd  lol can't find the cursor to type a response timely. 

Also, the idea that WG HQ would give console warships little attention and thus freedom is based upon what?  

This is what I have thought myself--that it is just a way to separate console and pc from each other. But I haven't been around any of these games for very long and have even less exposure to WOWS. I understand they can't give away all their future plans. I can't see them going in that direction at the very beginning. Maybe a few years down the line--depending on what works and what doesn't work and what is drawing people to play. 

• Like 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.